Buy a Apple PowerMac G4 (Quicksilver)???

The Mac

Registered
if you read my other questions on the forum, i decided not to buy the 450Mhz g4.

But I found a G4 quicksilver I couldn't help but bid on(eBay). Its 50 bucks with shipping. But before i pay I want to know a couple questions and opinions.

Question: Will this computer be good for some light movie editing and watching home videos and youtube? Cause my g3 is too slow to play any videos. I just want to know to get some advise if this is a really good deal or i should just save up more money and buy a newer mac. Thanks. Here the specs and pics.

Apple PowerMac G4
Model Number: M8493
733MHz
256MB of RAM
40GB Hard Drive
CD-RW/DVD Combo

f6c3_1.JPG

fc99_1.JPG

fe5e_1.JPG

Add some more RAM to it and you'll be fine. 1 GB shouldn't be too expensive nowadays. Install at least Tiger on that and you'll be set.

Wow, $50 dollars is a very good price for that computer!

Also for movie editing, I kind of doubt that 40 GB will be enough since about 10 is already taken from the system and applications. Plus I'm sure your going to have other stuff besides videos.

BTW, never realized the Quicksilver had gigabit Ethernet. (used to have one but power supply fried)

Last edited:
Yes it has GigE. That was introduced in one of the graphite Power Mac G4 models. As for whether good or bad, I'd say it's good but you'll only notice 1 Gb speed if the switch that it's connected to is also GigE and if the computer you're sharing files with also has a GigE network card. Otherwise, you won't notice a difference. It will only go as fast as the resource that you're trying to access (be it a 100 Mb switch, a PC with a slower network card, or Internet which is the slowest speed of all....unless you're in Japan, I guess :p).

Yes it has GigE. That was introduced in one of the graphite Power Mac G4 models. As for whether good or bad, I'd say it's good but you'll only notice 1 Gb speed if the switch that it's connected to is also GigE and if the computer you're sharing files with also has a GigE network card. Otherwise, you won't notice a difference. It will only go as fast as the resource that you're trying to access (be it a 100 Mb switch, a PC with a slower network card, or Internet which is the slowest speed of all....unless you're in Japan, I guess :p).

Yah, how come Japan gets like 100 mbps internet?!

Back