Buy now or wait until after MacWorld?

hbtaylor

Registered
I was planning on getting a Mac Mini in the Spring. I received some gift money and think I'll buy it earlier. Does anybody have an opinion as to whether or not it would be better to wait until after MacWorld to make the purchase? Some questions that drive the main question include:

• If a new Mac Mini is announced, would it be available quickly or a while down the road?
  • Given that a new Mini would be Intel-based, would the first generation product be a good first Mac (especially for my family - I would prefer a smooth experience for them)?
  • Is there a good probability that a new Mini would offer significantly more than buying a current one?
  • Is there any probability that existing Mini stock would decrease in price? Any price protection historically?

My plan for the Mini is to be a first Mac for us, for them to use for Web/email/games and me to use for development tasks (Ruby, Python, etc.). When/if it goes over well, I plan on getting another Mac (I'm leaning toward the 20" iMac unless something better at around that price point exists). I'd appreciate any "switcher friendly" thoughts on that plan, too.

Thanks,

H.B.

One of the benefits of waiting until after a big Apple event before buying a new Mac is that the "old" stock goes down in price. If memory and perception serves me right, we're talking about a 100 dollars difference. (If you purchase a Mac Mini a day before the new ones come out, you're still screwed.) However, the rumors I've heard/read so far mention the laptops getting an update, not the Mac Mini.

If I were in your place, I'd just wait. It's only fifteen more days. The Mac Mini might not get updated, but other products might become a better deal. Earlier this month my PoweBook broke, and as despaired as I got, it never occurred to me to get a new laptop; I knew I had to wait until after MacWorld Expo to make a decision. (Fortunately, Apple Care was a good investment on my part.)

When products are announced, there's a delay before they make their way into the hands of the consumer. Apple seems to be too careful a company; supply does not meet demand.

Regarding a Mac Intel... I'm sure most experienced Mac users would advise against buying the first version of a product. Some would prefer getting a "tested and proven" PowerBook G4, rather than purchase the first Intel/G5 PowerBook.

I don't where your located but it also makes a difference where you are. Here in Australia it is usually a long while before it is released here after an anouncement.

Dusky said:
If I were in your place, I'd just wait. It's only fifteen more days.

Dusky,

Thanks for the information. I think I probably will wait. I'm on vacation for the next few days, and I'm sure work will pile up for me when I return, so it might well be a few days until I could devote time to work with a new computer anyway. I'll keep my eyes open for MacWorld announcements, in case something occurs which sounds like a good deal.

There is an Apple store not far from home, so I may go there to browse around a bit and return for the purchase after I hear what occurs.

Thanks,

H.B.

Definitely wait now! It's ten days or so, and you'd bite yourself if something better would come out just after you've bought it, right?

The Mac mini _WAS_ rumoured to go intel in January. But rumours are just that: Rumours. And we'll only know for sure _after_ the keynote... But I think we can safely assume that features like FrontRow will make it to more than just the iMac, and I think that alone would be well worth waiting another 10 days.

Depending on where you live, if new Mac minis are announced, they're going to be available the same week or a month later. If you then want to get an older model, you've gotta act fast – and don't expect too much of a price cut. A 100 dollars would be 20 percent, and I honestly think it'd rather be 50 dollars off...

About buying the first intel Mac: Why not... Sure, some software will run in emulation, but not the software that comes with the computer, i.e. Safari, Mail.app etc. will run just fine, probably faster than on a PPC Mac mini (that's a G4 after all...). Games: I'm sure that a couple of nice games will come out for intel Macs quite soon. But it depends on what kind of game we're talking about. The Mac mini was never the highest end Mac (in fact the opposite), so things like Doom III probably are not in its range.

I bought an iBook a few weeks ago. I was going to wait, but I figured that this one is going to last me a long time. Besides it is not definite that new intel macs are going to be released in Jan. I thought they were predicting sometime later on this year. I also needed a computer, as I am going away to college in Jan. and needed it, i couldnt wait either! :)

Well: If it fits your needs, that's still a good purchase. But the closer the date gets, the danger of a buyer returning here whining about how Apple "betrayed" him/her increases. Seen this a couple of times in the past. ;)

Wait til MacWorld they most likely will be releasing Mac Minis by then. The Mac Mini is going to be one of the first to be transformed. Its so exciting I can't wait. The value of a mini after the release will decrease you won't be happy if you purchase it now because then you'll be stuck with a PowerPc Mac while everyone else is buying Intel macs. My opinion wait and you'll find yourself very happy.

Well, I knew that the Intel Macs were coming and suspected something in January, but I still bought my iMac G5 in September of last year. It's a great computer and I know it will last me for a long time, even after Apple decides not to make OS X for this machine anymore (meaning it will be running some form of Linux at that time). But yes, now that we're so close it makes no sense in getting a PPC Mac as your new Macintosh unless you really like the PPC architecture. As much as I do like the PPC architecture, I still wouldn't buy a PPC Mac just yet, even if they were released on the announced date of June instead of the rumored January release.

There's no need to cripple your iMac when Apple no longer releases new versions for PPC Macs, nixgeek. You can still use the last version compatible with your iMac G5 then. ;)

fryke said:
There's no need to cripple your iMac when Apple no longer releases new versions for PPC Macs, nixgeek. You can still use the last version compatible with your iMac G5 then. ;)

Ooooohh you went there didn't you?? :p I'll just pretend you didn't... ;)

I know you can't wait this long, but often you get the best deal a few months after all the new models come out. Then it is almost always best to buy the middle range model of whatever system you are interested in (not the fastest/biggest, not the slowest/smallest...). I have done this for years and it has always worked out well.

Back