Buy now or wait?

Paragon

Interstellar traveler
I'm looking to buy a Power Mac but I was wondering if I should wait until MWNY is over? Do you think that there will be a new line-up of the Power Mac? If so wouldn't the now available Power Mac's by a lot cheaper?

I would wait, the towers are most certainly going to see a speed bump and perhaps a new motherboard.

especially wait now since steve jobs will be giving the keynote with a "few surprises under his sleeve"

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!

(thanks appleturns.com for the info!)

i think the new towers will either be

933 1ghz and (mp)1.2 ghz models with ddr ram oorrrrr

(hopefuly)

1ghz 1.2 ghz and (mp)1.4 ghz with ddr ram

so wich would you rather have

a dual 1ghz now, or a dual 1.4 with ddr a few months later.

Well that depends on who's buying. :D

Seriously though. Has Apple always introduced a new PowerMac line with the same (almost) prices as the ones before them? So that I can get the new dual 1,4 GHz for $2999. Sweeetttt...:p

I would wait if you can afford to. If you had a 300mhz and your employer wanted a presentation in two weeks which you intended to do in iMovie then I would wait.

Also remember that whatever comes out will have some waitlist period unless you get your name on the apple site the second it is released there. That would be a problem if you had a summer term project due two weeks after Macworld and you wanted to use iMovie... ect. from above.

But even if you are happy with the current models if you wait then you will get a cheaper price.

There isn't a worse feeling than buying that Apple machine blissfully unaware that the new one's are out a couple of weeks later!:eek:

yep uoba - you hit it one the head. how do i know? my imac will be 2 years old in about a week or 2!! I could have paid less or gotten more if i had simply been more aware.

If you are in the market for a PowerMac, now is not the time to buy unless 1) you need the machine now and can not wait, and 2) you don't have any problem spending $2000 now, only to have a completely faster machine available in 3 weeks.

New PowerMacs are coming at Macworld Expo. It's about the only certainty (other than Jobs keynote using the phrase "best thing we've ever done). What the CPU speeds will be is anyone's guess, but you can almost bank of DDR SDRAM on the motherboard, a faster bus, 8xAGP, and a new form factor for the case (which is now 3.5 years old - extremely ripe for a new form factor). The top end should be at least a dual 1.4ghz, if not faster. The Superdrive should be in the mid and highend models, with it possibly debuting in the low end model as well (if the $1799 iMac can sport a Superdrive, it seems silly not to put it in the $1699 monitorless entry level PowerMac).

Hopefully, Apple will have something up their sleeve with regard to the graphics cards. They really need a workstation class 3D card, at least as an option. The GeForce4 Titanium is a great 3D card for gaming, but it's not good enough for anything other than entry level 3D.

I say wait....
cause if you dont it is conceivable that you will be pulling the hair outta your scalp :p (if you are bold I dont know WHAT you will be doing :p)

Wait till MWNY is over so you can see what comes out, this way you know you are getting the newest of the new or at least the old at a discounted price :)

I guess I'll wait then, and that's what I had in mind from the beginning really. However I was not sure if there would be any upgrade in the Power Mac line at MWNY, and in that case I might aswell buy it now. It's not like I need it right now, so I guess I'll wait until the 17th.

If they introduce a new Power Mac, when do you think that people will be able to buy one. Is it going to be like when the new iMac came out? Personally I don't think so cause it's not a complicated mac like the iMac.

I really hope that they make a new design also, it's not that i dislike the one they have now, it's just that...well it's old.

As I said, new PowerMacs at MWNY are the only new product we can bank on seeing. There might be bumped iBooks or TiBooks, but that's not as certain as new PowerMacs.

Usually, Apple will have the low end and mid range PowerMacs ready to go, with orders shipping just a few days later.

The high end PowerMacs don't have quite as good a track record. Last MWNY 2001, I order on the day of the show a CTOd G4/800DP with a GeForce3. They said they would ship in September. I actually ended up getting it the last week of August. Earlier than expected, but still over a month after MWNY.

As for the case, I expect an update. I just hope they can top the ease of use that the current form factor offers. Keep the simplicity of getting inside the case. I'm a little torn on the handles, however. On one hand, they are ugly, and take up space unecessarily. On the other, if you ever have to move the CPU, you instantly become aware of why they are there. It makes lugging the CPU much easier than other PC cases.

Back