Buying a Mac... What keyboard layout?

Tinchohs

Registered
I am switching to the Mac from a PC. In my PC I use a 'US International' keyboard, which has the same keys as a regular US keyboard, yet when I want to type in spanish, if I press an accent and then type a vowel instead of considering it 2 characters, it puts the accent on top of the vowel. The same happens when I press '~' + 'n' I actually get an 'ñ'.

I can achieve this without having a 'Spanish' keyboard, which I particularly don't like.

Is this possible in the Mac? Can I go ahed and purchase a machine with 'US English Keyboard' and still the characters I am looking for with reasonable ease?

Thanks SO much for your help. This is the only open thing between me and my new Mac... Appreciated! Martin.

This feature I believe is software enabled, so no matter what OS you're using you should have that option (the option is also there in Linux, but I've never tried it). So you should be golden on your new Mac.

Incidentally, what Macintosh are you looking to buy?

Dunno about MacBook, but with my iBook (OsX 10.3.9) I have it set to Brit English keyboard layout, and I type en español sin cambiar el teclado. If I need an accent I type Option e followed by the vowel in question (á, é, í etc). For ñ it's Option n and then n again. ¿Me explico?
easterhay

does anyone know where to buy a macbook with the Spanish keyboard installed on it, or which retail stores sells them?

Hi Bruclin,

Apple retail stores don't usually stock them. The best place to get it with it already installed it is to order from Apple store (apple.com/store) and then customize it to have the Western Spanish keyboard layout in it, should be the same price as the default US layout.

And - well, I figured there might be some use for a howto about the various international keyboard options .. so http://macosx.com/forums/howto-faqs/293426-typing-international-characters-texts-mac-os-x.html could be for some use.

thanks ciaguara for the reply, but cuz im just passing thru the US for a few days i cant order anything to get it mailed. It would be perfect if there was like a mac store with the mac im looking for on stock. Thanks anyway

Back