buying macbook on ebay

Elliotjnewman

Registered
would you trust this?

here

Its much cheaper than any other place I can find, but how trustworthy is
buying from ebay like this? I have heard lots of bad stories...

I wouldn't trust it. I lost a grand trying to buy a MacBook Pro over eBay, and I'll never see it again. After that, an online camera store tried to sell me a grey-market Nikon D80 and I had to cancel my credit card to keep them from charging me.

Don't go cheap on a large investment. Buy it at the proper price; anybody that sells it to you much lower is taking a shortcut, there's no way around that. I can't tell you how good I felt going down to a real camera shop, picking up, touching, feeling, smelling the thing I spent my hard-earned cash on. I didn't have to sit nervously in my art department for a week and a half wondering if I had gotten ripped off.

Yeah, your experience sounds like many stories I have heard, I cant believe ebay let this happen.

I think the only way I will pick one of these things up is to find one from a genuine private seller - used, there have been a few auctions for macbooks from sellers saying "only opened once" or "unwanted gift" - if I can get over to collect in person to check its all working I would then, and only then hand over my cash...

then again thats still risky..

If you live in a decent sized town, try craigslist. You get a broad product base (not eBay broad, but still better than your local bulletin board) and get to deal face-to-face.

I tried to find a UK craigslist but there doesnt seem to be one...

the refurb macbook 2.4's are only available in the US - the UK store doesnt appear to have them yet... I wonder how long it will take until they start stocking 2.4 macbooks refurbed - thats the best solution!

Back