Buying new laptop...Did I make the right choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devlinite

banned for trolling
After researching for hours which notebook I should buy, even considering the PowerMac G4s.

I wanted something very light but at the same time powerful with a reasonable price. Prices are in Canadian $.

The Notebook I chose on the PC side was this:

Inspiron 600m (4.7lbs)

-Free shipping
-Free USB Memory Key 128MB Dell USB Memory Key
-Free Ati Radeon 9000 64MB upgrade from 32MB.
-100$ Discount

-Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition - English (built in Windows apps)
-Digital Music Dell Jukebox powered by MusicMatch
-Security Software Dell Security Center by McAfee, 90 Day introductory offer
-Productivity Software WordPerfect™ Productivity Pack

-Intel Pentium®M Processor at 1.3GHz
-14.1" XGA Display
-ATI Radeon 9000 64MB Video
-Memory 256MB DDR 266MHz (2 DIMMs)
-Hard Drive 30GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive
-Integrated Modem and NIC Internal 56K Modem and Integrated Network Card
-Optical Devices 24XCD-RW/DVD Combo Roxios Easy CD Creator®
-Wireless Networking Card Intel® PRO/Wireless 2100 WLAN (802.11b, 11Mbps) miniPCI Card
-Wireless Personal Networking Card Dell™ TrueMobile™ 300 Bluetooth Internal Card
-Cables And Accessories 3ft 3 wire FLAT US Power Cord
-Primary Battery 48 Watt Primary Battery

-Warranty 1-Year Return-to-Depot Service, 24x7 Phone Tech Support, 365 days a year

Cost: 2048$

Review summaries:

Pro:
-Bang for you buck, got everything.
-Good performance
-Very clear display
-Good design

Con:
-Flimsy keyboard and fragile display
-No firewire port
-Can get expensive with options?

On PowerMac side was this one:

PowerMac G4 (4.6lbs)

867MHz PowerPC G4

-200$ Higher education discount

-Mac OS X v10.2 Jaguar (built in Mac apps)

-12.1-inch TFT Display
-40GB Ultra ATA drive
-Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
-256MB DDR266 (128MB built-in & 128MB SO-DIMM)
-AirPort Extreme Card
-NVIDIA GeForce4 420 Go
32MB DDR video memory
-10/100BASE-T Ethernet
-FireWire 400
-Bluetooth built-in

-90 day "free" support

Cost: 2131$ + shipping = ?

Review Summaries:

Pro:
-Good keyboard
-Nice style

Con:
-Heats up very quickly.
-Bad LCD, bad image.
-Troublesome to add new memory.
-Low performance.

You really can't say no to dell, with all those discounts and bonus features, reliability, performance, small size and free shipping!

So I chose the dell.

Yes I can.

Hey Dell! No!

PC vs Mac is a matter of opinion. You made your choice before you even looked at the mac. They run entirely different operating systems. XP Home and OS X.2 is no comparison. At ALL.

BTW, have you looked at the powerbook LCD? It's crystal clear. The same as the dell. And how exactly is it troublesome to add new memory?

EDIT: You mention small size with Dell. Um, ::ha::

Well unfortunately, I am not a fanatic of either side, so i have no bias against either computers.

But many ppl here are...

Secondly, I did research on many laptops, and for the budget I had of 2000$, the one that delivered my needs was the dell, and for comparison I added the powermac 12 inch, since it the closest competitor in mac side against this dell model.

I read many reviews from both... As you can see in my comparison, I wrote the good things and bad things about both.

The powermac heats alot, and burns your lap... It has a bad LCD. It's memory expansion slot, 1 of them is already taken, because its build in, and the reviewer said it was a pain in the ass, to add the second one.

I am not proving or disproving anything, but i will give the benefit of the doubt to the reviewer, than asking in a biased forum, what is more preferable to me and my budget.

I simply posted it, because I wanted to see how far a mac fanatic will go to argue against my choice, which is totally ridiculous, because of the immense amount of features, discounts, performance you getting for cheaper cost with the dell.

As you can see, the dell in the reviews have been summed up to be more reliable than the powermac... So who the hell would pay more for something that is less reliable, oven cooker with a bad image?

I do not care what the other models.... I compared the one that is competitive against the dell mobility laptop, which is the Inspiron 600m, which is about the same weight, yet larget screen laptop.

Originally posted by Devlinite
Well unfortunately, I am not a fanatic of either side, so i have no bias against either computers.

But many ppl here are...

Secondly, I did research on many laptops, and for the budget I had of 2000$, the one that delivered my needs was the dell, and for comparison I added the powermac 12 inch, since it the closest competitor in mac side against this dell model.

I read many reviews from both... As you can see in my comparison, I wrote the good things and bad things about both.

The powermac heats alot, and burns your lap... It has a bad LCD. It's memory expansion slot, 1 of them is already taken, because its build in, and the reviewer said it was a pain in the ass, to add the second one.

I am not proving or disproving anything, but i will give the benefit of the doubt to the reviewer, than asking in a biased forum, what is more preferable to me and my budget.

I simply posted it, because I wanted to see how far a mac fanatic will go to argue against my choice, which is totally ridiculous, because of the immense amount of features, discounts, performance you getting for cheaper cost with the dell.

As you can see, the dell in the reviews have been summed up to be more reliable than the powermac... So who the hell would pay more for something that is less reliable, oven cooker with a bad image?

I do not care what the other models.... I compared the one that is competitive against the dell mobility laptop, which is the Inspiron 600m, which is about the same weight, yet larget screen laptop.
I have to ask you. Did the reviews to both laptops pit them against each other? If not, then they're pretty much useless.

Btw, why are you posting this hear besides to pick a fight?

i suggest he goes to osnews.com, there are many xp victims over there. a few hours of chattin with them, and it will do him good. its not enough that hes an amature, he hasnt had any bashing lessons from the experts. bad start to pickig a fight :)

I am not picking any fight, is this how people exchange ideas in here?

If you think my decision going with a dell is a threat, then you need help or some friends.

"and u need to get layed"

It's laid, not layed... From your mispelling, I doubt you have been "layed". As if, this relates to anything with the topic at hand.

Kids these days...

"and u need to get layed"

It's laid, not layed... From your mispelling, I doubt you have been "layed". As if, this relates to anything with the topic at hand.

Kids these days...
Everyone who makes a typo is a virgin? Wow. News to me :rolleyes:

And you never answered, why are you posting this here if you didn't want arguments for apple.

ahhahaah
yo dev. im sorry i was born in sweden, and im sorry my primary language is greek:)

u know what they call ppl like u in greece? their called MALAKES :)

Devlinite, there also rules on this board against trolling. On a Mac board, posting in favor of Windows is usually considered trolling.

I for one would like to know what purpose you wanted this computer for; after knowing that, I will debate you on whether your decision was a good one or not.

I wanted something very light but at the same time powerful with a reasonable price. I want something for school, so it has to be really mobile.

Secondly, I wanted to be wireless for hot spot areas, and have bluetooth to integrate with my Pocket PC and cell. I will also take this laptop for vacations to dump my digital photos and videos. I also want to play games during lan parties or on the net. Watch dvd movies and burn mp3 cds or "lended" software ;)

So this laptop will always be on my lap and needs a good battery life. The dell has 4 hours, the lowest of all centrino cpu laptops, but it is compensated for having the fastest performance in all the laptops covered by the reviewer and the one of the cheapest.

There was the Gateway and Toshibas, but they ranged in 3000$, which is too high for me.

I dont know how long the powermac lasts, but since it heats up like a pressure cooker. I doubt it's saving much energy. Centrinos dont heat up, and I am comfortable that it wont heat up and burn my pants.

I already know what purprose I will use this laptop. Powermacs do not deliver, or are short in delivering it.

I wanted something very light but at the same time powerful with a reasonable price. I want something for school, so it has to be really mobile.

Secondly, I wanted to be wireless for hot spot areas, and have bluetooth to integrate with my Pocket PC and cell. I will also take this laptop for vacations to dump my digital photos and videos. I also want to play games during lan parties or on the net. Watch dvd movies and burn mp3 cds or "lended" software ;)

So this laptop will always be on my lap and needs a good battery life. The dell has 4 hours, the lowest of all centrino cpu laptops, but it is compensated for having the fastest performance in all the laptops covered by the reviewer and the one of the cheapest.

There was the Gateway and Toshibas, but they ranged in 3000$, which is too high for me.

I dont know how long the powermac lasts, but since it heats up like a pressure cooker. I doubt it's saving much energy. Centrinos dont heat up, and I am comfortable that it wont heat up and burn my pants.

I already know what purprose I will use this laptop. Powermacs do not deliver, or are short in delivering it.
It's powerbook, not powermac. If you don't want the heat, get an iBook. The heat comes from the aluminum, not from the chip. And Centrino is a technology, not a chip as you infer. It's a Pentium M, and integrated wireless. The Powerbook and the ibook last 5-6 hours without wireless, and 3-4 with. Windows' adoption to wireless is a pain (I had to set up my sister's laptop, I know).

Plus, as for the video and photos, Mac OS X kicks XP's butt all over the place.

theyre called powerBOOKS ...

and all those things u listed. a powerbook can handle them pretty easily. and guess what. u dont need to pay any extra cash for new software.the iApps included are better than any loser app on that XP home edition thingy.!!!

"If you don't want the heat, get an iBook."

I am sorry but I already said the closest thing available at apple store that is close to Dell inspiron 600m is the Powerbook 12inch combo drive. The Ibook is too slow for me, a G3? Oh please.

"The heat comes from the aluminum, not from the chip."

I thought Apple had superior design? They should have known about that when they built it. And I still think it's the cpu.

"And Centrino is a technology, not a chip as you infer." No one is arguing against that, simply said Centrinos dont heat up.

"The Powerbook and the ibook last 5-6 hours without wireless, and 3-4 with."

Both same amount of time yet different processors? That is hard to believe.

"Windows' adoption to wireless is a pain (I had to set up my sister's laptop, I know). "

How so? I put my cisco pcmcia in my old dell laptop and I got internet connection. I have had no problems with wireless connectivity in my home or with my laptops.

its called: USING DIFFERENT TYPES OF BATTERIES.

a powerbook being obviously more expensive (but generating more heat) comes with a better battery, thus they get the same operation time:)

and anyways. it isnt only the battery but the way the whole system is configured. im sure u wouldnt understand!!!u have trendy step up technology which is far more superior:)

I am sorry but I already said the closest thing available at apple store that is close to Dell inspiron 600m is the Powerbook 12inch combo drive. The Ibook is too slow for me, a G3? Oh please.

I thought Apple had superior design? They should have known about that when they built it. And I still think it's the cpu.

"And Centrino is a technology, not a chip as you infer." No one is arguing against that, simply said Centrinos dont heat up.

"Windows' adoption to wireless is a pain (I had to set up my sister's laptop, I know). "

How so? I put my cisco pcmcia in my old dell laptop and I got internet connection. I have had no problems with wireless connectivity in my home or with my laptops.

iBooks are not that slow, or I wouldn't have gotten one.

Did you ever pass a science class or are you still in elementary school? Aluminum (or any metals) transfer heat more then plastic, so they feel hotter although the core temperature is probably close to the same.

G3's are cooler then G4's though, and they use less power, which is why they are used on laptops still.

It is superior... That is why I bought than an old outdated G4 from motorola, or even worse a G3, in which the latest calculators are probably faster than that.

Spoken like a true newbie. Your cluelessness impresses me.

G3 is basically the same speed as a G4, just without altivec (which by the listing of what you use, you wouldn't use anyway). They use up *basically* the same amount of power, and give off the same amount of heat.

Apple does have superior design. If you've used them, you'd know that, and you'd know it only gets really hot when it's being powered. If you want to keep it cooler, underclock it. You don't need much power.

You referred to Centrino as a CPU.

As for wireless setup, I want to be notified of new signals, and if possible, I want to directly connect to them. If I didn't want that, I'd want to turn it off (which took 10 minutes to find out how to do in XP).

"Did you ever pass a science class or are you still in elementary school? Aluminum (or any metals) transfer heat more then plastic, so they feel hotter although the core temperature is probably close to the same."

You can ask that question to Apple, not me.

Secondly, plastic or no plastic. I will not pay for an outdated G3 processor while I can get top of the line, latest technological advanced pc laptop for the same price and not to mention with more features, faster performance, less heat, bigger screen, better image, free shipping.... I can go on and on.

Oh did i mention, I can play the latest games on my laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back