Buying new laptop...Did I make the right choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Devlinite
I wanted something very light but at the same time powerful with a reasonable price. I want something for school, so it has to be really mobile.
Hence, the purpose of the iBook.
Secondly, I wanted to be wireless for hot spot areas, and have bluetooth to integrate with my Pocket PC and cell. I will also take this laptop for vacations to dump my digital photos and videos. I also want to play games during lan parties or on the net. Watch dvd movies and burn mp3 cds or "lended" software ;)
The 12" and 17" Powerbooks have Bluetooth built-in, and all Macs have Firewire and iMovie for video editing, plus combo- or Superdrives for burning DVD's and CD's (talk about pirating software and your posts will be edited).

Games are a different issue because game makers are often stingy about making games hybrid or porting them. If you want to play the latest, greatest game right now, or you're a big Counterstrike fan, then a PC would suit you better; if you like playing quality titles like Q3A, UT (any), or WC3, then a Mac would suit you quite well.
So this laptop will always be on my lap and needs a good battery life. The dell has 4 hours, the lowest of all centrino cpu laptops, but it is compensated for having the fastest performance in all the laptops covered by the reviewer and the one of the cheapest.
This has been covered well enough...
There was the Gateway and Toshibas, but they ranged in 3000$, which is too high for me.
So what, then, $999 for a low-end iBook or $1599 for a low-end Powerbook is too much for you too?
I dont know how long the powermac lasts, but since it heats up like a pressure cooker. I doubt it's saving much energy. Centrinos dont heat up, and I am comfortable that it wont heat up and burn my pants.
I bet you wear a skirt. Okay, I'm sorry, this isn't the place for petty, stupid personal attacks.

Call it a Powerbook. Then people won't get mad at you, and you'll look like you know what you're talking about.

If it's really an issue, put a shirt over your lap before you use a Powerbook. But if you're worried about one computer over another simply because of how hot it gets, you don't have your priorities straight.
I already know what purprose I will use this laptop. Powermacs do not deliver, or are short in delivering it.
You're right, a Powermac would be tough to lug around all the time, plus you'd have to carry around the monitor, and you'd need somewhere to plug it in. As for the Books, prove it.

"Did you ever pass a science class or are you still in elementary school? Aluminum (or any metals) transfer heat more then plastic, so they feel hotter although the core temperature is probably close to the same."

You can ask that question to Apple, not me.

Secondly, plastic or no plastic. I will not pay for an outdated G3 processor while I can get top of the line, latest technological advanced pc laptop for the same price and not to mention with more features, faster performance, less heat, bigger screen, better image, free shipping.... I can go on and on.

Oh did i mention, I can play the latest games on my laptop?
Good for you. That 14" screen must be awesome to play games with.

Anyway, the g3 is old, but hardly outdated. It has a lot of life left in it, a LOT more than the P4 (which is nearing it's last legs). The 900 mhz were released, what, 2 months ago? Hardly old.

Same price eh? So you got your fragile little notebook for $999? Interesting.

And you can go on and on? Then why don't you?

Oh, did I mention, I can use the worlds most advanced operating system on my laptop?

Ibook

-No bluetooth
-Slower processor than Dells
-Slower video card than Dells
-Smaller screen than dells
-No free shipping
-No 128mb free memory key
-No ethernet jack (doesnt say in apple site)
-Can't play latest released game, or even to slow to play latest games. (Big risk)
-No Firewire? (doesnt say in apple side)

Cost: 1,970.00 + shipping? = same price as dells or even more.

Are you nuts? You actually going to stand there and tell me you rather chose the ibook, if you had a choice between the two with the needs I want?

Ibook

--Can't play latest released game, or even to slow to play latest games. (Big risk)

u forgot to mention Solitaire. sure u can get solitaire free apps from versiontracker for macs but THEYRE NOTHIN LIKE THE GOOD OLD FASHIONED SOLITAIRE IN POWER-WINDOWS-WHAT-A-LOVELY-OS-IT-IS :)

"Did you ever pass a science class or are you still in elementary school? Aluminum (or any metals) transfer heat more then plastic, so they feel hotter although the core temperature is probably close to the same."

You can ask that question to Apple, not me.

Secondly, plastic or no plastic. I will not pay for an outdated G3 processor while I can get top of the line, latest technological advanced pc laptop for the same price and not to mention with more features, faster performance, less heat, bigger screen, better image, free shipping.... I can go on and on.

Oh did i mention, I can play the latest games on my laptop?

Most of the time, the 12'' PB isn't hot at all, it is only when you are using 100% CPU for long periods of time, or constantly accessing the disk that it heats up.

LOL, since when is anything on a PC the latest?

PC Laptops can get just as hot.

If you want a bigger screen, get a 14'' iBook, or 15'' Powerbook.

Apple offers free shipping on orders over $100, or you could buy it at a local retailer.

I can assure you that a dell does NOT have betting screen quality then a powerbook.

Dell sucks, if you want a PC at least get a better brand

I bet my *slow* G3 can do many things faster then your crappy dell anyday, while providing me with better battery life.

Ibook

-No bluetooth - wrong.
-Slower processor than Dells - wrong.
-Slower video card than Dells - right, at least I think so
-Smaller screen than dells - that's a good thing
-No free shipping - if I buy it at a compusa or an apple store
-No 128mb free memory key - okay..
-No ethernet jack (doesnt say in apple site) - that's just plain ignorant
-Can't play latest released game, or even to slow to play latest games. (Big risk) - ::ha::
-No Firewire? (doesnt say in apple side) - Ignorance, again.

Cost: 1,970.00 + shipping? = same price as dells or even more.

Are you nuts? You actually going to stand there and tell me you rather chose the ibook, if you had a choice between the two with the needs I want?

Yes, I would.

For one thing, sure you can multitask on Windows without problems. So can I. But no amount of skill will make multitasking with Windows as easy as multitasking with a macintosh. Every application talks to each other. I can be sending information to app's without even switching to them in focus, and without skipping a beat. Plus, I find that I work better on a mac, because of the fact that it's fun. Now I'm not saying this is true for everyone, but certianly is for me. The problem is that Windows is just a tool. The one thing about OS X that people don't understand, and can't understand till they start working with the thing for more than 10 minutes, is that OS X is a JOY to use. It makes everything fun. And because of that, it lets you learn more and more and more about computers. Networking, command lines, running servers, programming. Ripping CD's, burning CD's, editing movies, burning DVD's. It doesn't make things simple; it makes them coherent. That's the difference between the User Friendliness of XP and OS. Doing things in XP is difficult, but XP holds your hand and walks you through everything. OS X just makes it easier.

Dood, I am not a mom with bad eye sight that has no knowledge of computers. I build computers as a hobby...

Trust me, OSX personally, testing it many times at my friends or even at the stores. It pretty slow if I want to do the same task on windows. But this is once again, PREFRENCE AND OPINION.

While the hardware in dell is simply fact... It's faster and better. I could care less if there is linux installed on the laptop. I am not paying it for the software, i am paying for the hardware.

You think I am going to keep home edition xp with mcafee viruscan? Wtf do i care about that? Nor do I CARE for iapps, or dvd editors. I never want to edit a dvd nor do I want to make music CDs (exempting mp3s)

Sure i will burn borrowed apps and games, which probably are all incompatible with OSX since they made for PC.

While I have to go buy a OSX app from a store. Me, a guy who never bought a software in his life. No thanks. Even OS difference debate, windows wins, not targetting the OS itself, because Windows is simply supported more. I can get any app or game and it will be compatible with windows, plus i can "burrow" them for free at any irc channel.

Just like that... So if you want to talk about easy and cost. PC wins in the end, in my way of doings things on the computer.

Last but not the least, I already stated what I wanted with my laptop.

We jumped from powerbook, to ibook, which is less performing and more restricted in features.

How is Ibook better for me now than it was with powerbook? You guys really have no intention to actually confess a little that my needs are not your needs. Therefore, Dell is preferable for my own sake?

Not only that, but it's a good bargain for it's cost. Or I would have just stayed with my old dell laptop.

Dood, I am not a mom with bad eye sight that has no knowledge of computers. I build computers as a hobby...

Trust me, OSX personally, testing it many times at my friends or even at the stores. It pretty slow if I want to do the same task on windows. But this is once again, PREFRENCE AND OPINION.

While the hardware in dell is simply fact... It's faster and better. I could care less if there is linux installed on the laptop. I am not paying it for the software, i am paying for the hardware.

You think I am going to keep home edition xp with mcafee viruscan? Wtf do i care about that? Nor do I CARE for iapps, or dvd editors. I never want to edit a dvd nor do I want to make music CDs (exempting mp3s)

Sure i will burn borrowed apps and games, which probably are all incompatible with OSX since they made for PC.

While I have to go buy a OSX app from a store. Me, a guy who never bought a software in his life. No thanks. Even OS difference debate, windows wins, not targetting the OS itself, because Windows is simply supported more. I can get any app or game and it will be compatible with windows, plus i can "burrow" them for free at any irc channel.

Just like that... So if you want to talk about easy and cost. PC wins in the end, in my way of doings things on the computer.

Last but not the least, I already stated what I wanted with my laptop.

We jumped from powerbook, to ibook, which is less performing and more restricted in features.

How is Ibook better for me now than it was with powerbook? You guys really have no intention to actually confess a little that my needs are not your needs. Therefore, Dell is preferable for my own sake?

Not only that, but it's a good bargain for it's cost. Or I would have just stayed with my old dell laptop.

If you really build PCs (I used to before I switched) you would know that dells hardware is pretty crappy compared to what else you can get.

Jaguar was a little slow for some things, but panther fixes all this plus more.

And if you really want to warez software for OS X, it is damn easy to, just don't brag about it here ;)

If you like PCs admit it, and leave this site ;)

Crappy in what way, they pretty sturdy and well made. My old laptop probably has more than 50 little screws to get in the motherboard. (Did open, just to sake of seeing whats in it)

Secondly, all its hardware is branded and used in all other laptops.

Such as the hard drive, sony, toshiba, fujistu.

Video card, ati nvidia intel

network intel, dell

LCD displays toshiba, dunno about other brands.

Motherboards intel

Btw my old 15 inch laptop does 1600rez, 32bit, 85hz. No Apple laptop can do that.

So dont say dell hardware is crappy. I think it depends which Dell model you buy, just like which apple computer/laptop you buy.

Some designs are crappy, like my old one, all the hardware is cornered on one side, which would generate alot of heat, and is pretty heavy.

So this time I am a real mobile one, and inspiron 600m, has been acclaimed for good design and very little heat generated. So i am happy.

Isn't my happiness worth something???

I do like PCs, but I never said I am biased towards pcs. I simply think Macs cost too much for something that can be done at pc level for much less. I don't care how its done, but both can do the same thing. One is simply more expensive...

Also, PM about these OSX lended software sites :)

When you say your laptop has a faster processor... do you mean it has more Mhz?

No I actually mean it has a faster processor.

Please don't tell me what you going to say.

G3s are faster than the new P4 M.

Btw, I am an AMD fan not intel. But since AMD has not released a good substitute cpu for mobiles that generates little heat and doesnt take much power, I have no choice to go with the M. Nevertheless, the M is faster than the old P4 core. So I have no grudges, but don't imply that the G3 900mhz is faster than a new p4 M 1.3 ghz. I won't even reply anymore, if you say that.

Back to the original question, I think you made the WRONG choice, if you don't like our answers, DONT ASK ON A MAC FORUM.

G3's are not faster then any P4 M's unfortunately... although IBM is/has been rumoured to be producing a G3 with altivec enhancements, so it will help. also the g3's speeds are held back by the PR dept and the g4 needing to be the faster processor unfortunately....

i will say though, that a g3 900mhz and a p4 m 1.4 are pretty close in speed, they handle data a little differently to where in actuality you would be comparing two chips of the same make at maybe 1.2 vs 1.4, so its not a HUGE difference...

I personally have been very very pleased with my ibook, although i use my g4 for heavy duty tasks ;)... but the ibook is perfect for me (maybe not for you, which is cool) because all i need is a light, efficient, decent performing, portable and fairly cool lap top

Originally posted by sailgreg
Back to the original question, I think you made the WRONG choice, if you don't like our answers, DONT ASK ON A MAC FORUM.

although i don't like some of his... trolling... he does, however, have every right to post wherever he wants.... he just needs to use a bit more tact in posting his opinions, thats all

different strokes for different folks

you know people, let's not waste our time debating macs and pcs with Devlinite. It seems he made a choice before he first posted. I personally would choose a mac because of their OS X. Nothing is compared to OS X. (Oh! and the G5 is an awesome personal supercomputer)

I like how the OS was developed, almost all of the components are free and within industry standards(opengl, Java, Darwin, apache,...)

Well I just checked with Purolator, my shipment finally left customs, so it should be here tomorrow, or friday at the least.

Well i'll stay with pcs for laptops, and maybe in the near future, if Apple ever ports the G5 to an IMAC, you will see me more frequently on these boards ;)

Us canadians, have to pay double for anything you americans get. So getting an apple is quite demotivating for its cost. So if I am going to pay alot, I expect more than a G3 or a G4. i need an Ibm G5, so it lasts me long enough.

Btw, anyone notice Apple hasn't made a PocketMac Handheld device?

Also, what is the devaluation ratio of apple computers?

Well I just checked with Purolator, my shipment finally left customs, so it should be here tomorrow, or friday at the least.

Well i'll stay with pcs for laptops, and maybe in the near future, if Apple ever ports the G5 to an IMAC, you will see me more frequently on these boards ;)

Us canadians, have to pay double for anything you americans get. So getting an apple is quite demotivating for its cost. So if I am going to pay alot, I expect more than a G3 or a G4. i need an Ibm G5, so it lasts me long enough.

Btw, anyone notice Apple hasn't made a PocketMac Handheld device?

Also, what is the devaluation ratio of apple computers?

Apple used to have a handheld, the Newton, it was sweet :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back