By all means, refuse to restart, and forget my Dock settings, I don't mind a bit!

phatcactus

The Ugly Organist
Today I noticed my uptime was almost a month, and I thought I be a polite young lad and give my G4 the ol' restart. But when I tried, all I got was a cursor against the desktop picture. Nothing lists in the cmd-opt-escape window, and Cancel and Sleep are the only functional buttons in the control-eject window. Sadness!

To top it off, upon rebooting from the reset switch, my Dock magically appeared on the bottom of my screen with the default icons in it. Agh!

I am worried that something horrible is going on. Can anyone console me and tell me it's all in my head? Nothing will explode any more, right? I'm'a reformat and reinstall everything this weekend, as my semester will then be over. Promise.

It should be fine. Boot into single user, run fsck -y (or something, can't remember it at the moment search for it in a forum). Run until you get no more error messages. Repair permissions. Perhaps rename your preferences. Reboot. Enjoy. Set it up how you likes. :D

Back