C and objective C used in Unison??

programming requires math :rolleyes:
lol ... I went through 3 semesters of math (calculus I, calculus II and linear algebra ) ... I have not used anything form those math classes in programming...lol not once, not one equation lol ... or have I and not realizzed it ?

I hated integrals and derivitives...good lord lol .. so many things to memorize... and I did...and made stupid mistakes that compiled down...and finally got the wrong answer... at least I did not fail ;) lol ... grades will not be mentioned :rolleyes:

Admiral

Hehe, I know what you mean. Whats the point of showing us 14 different ways to solve the same problem? Just give me the quickest one and leave me alone:D

You may not use mathmatical equations directly in your prgramming, but like it or not, taking math classes gets your brain to think a certain, logical way that is very beneficial to programming and other fields. I once had this guest speaker from the local Universities Engineering program who said a lot of the top CEOs were in fact engineers and not MBAs because the math required for engineers allowed them to think about problems in ways MBAs had trouble conceptualizing. Whether he was talking out of his ass or not is debatable, but I tend to beleive him.:p

-jdog

LOL...
I like logic...
if A = C
and B = C
then A = B lol

as for MBAs...what a bunch of dimwhits :p

Business, marketing and financial majors and PROFS come to where I work to borrow equipment... I just love this phrase "I want to borrow a powerpoint machine" HA HA HA HA :p idiots :p

when I ask them Mac or PC they say "what?" lol :p

further more when I give it to them (it's a computer with an lcd projector) they look at it in awe as if they have never seen a computer before lol... they use PCs most of the time, so they do one of 3 things

1) they put the disk in and start it up and get the "non system disk" error and dont know what to do

or

2) They start it up and get impatient with windows loading and start pressing buttons and screwing it up

or

3) windows loads up fine, they pur their disk in and expect the machine to magically get their powerpoint up and running, clicking or anything

dimwhits I tell ya... and to this these people are running the economy :p

Admiral

jdog and admiral - ok i thought about what you proposed about "base knowledge" and then what you know about base knowledge the more knowledgeable you will be of a specific topic. of course i thought about this for a couple hours and i agree strongly with some parts but there are also some parts in which i disagree with. okay while you may be right, and im not saying i am. what if i just finished high school and that was enough for me - while not wasting my time on base knowledge. but exceeding my limit in which it would only get better and better. so in a matter of years perhaps, if i did extend what i did on the main principles this could also have a negative effect more than a positive effect....?

(for example do not tell anyone this!!!!!)--
i was talking to my 24 year old sister(shes a chemical engineer), and she did not believe that you were able to succeed in this world without a proper education. I argued for a while with her, and still she thought she was right just because she was older. She is currently a chemical engineer and cannot find a job. She is making %8.50 as a telemarketer.

i believe that there are more intuitive ways to make money than a job.

Okay okay okay (this is where you arent supposed to tell anyone this) i bought a shit load of cotton candy at wal mart for $1 each. then i printed out little forms on my computer saying that i was "fund raising for my school" (obviously not true) so i went door to door to door and sold each cotton candy for $3 each. i made $200 i a few hours.

I told my sis this and she was so use to thinking in a logical way that her mind never even bothered to have faith in "doing things" herself like this.

Amazingly, and jealously in my point of view, she wants to start her own business now. What do you guys think...????????

sorry - meant the more base knowledge you have, this could be more of a negative effect than positive effect on a specific topic.

LOL well...
she majored in chem eng. butshe might not be able to find a job there, at least there is potential. If you opt to not continue then part of the potential is taken away.

To get a start in this world you need to prove yourself first, and a degree (of any sort) is the proof you need. Once you get a start, and get the ball rolling then your great(or bad) work will speak for you.

Too bad you can't depend on something like "the bill gates story" happening to you because it is TOOOOOO far fetched for this day and age.

It would sure be nice though...the whitesaint or the admiral or yourUserNameHere story lol ;)

Admiral

hm good point once again ;) okay i got proof i know anything is possible, right....? well..look at steve jobs did he go to college?? but steve jobs was brilliant in my opinion and still is. Even if he did trip, it might have tweaked him up a little bit. lol who knows maybe without those drugs he wouldve been a nobody. but i believe that even if no drugs for steve he still wouldve changed the world in which he did. I quit drugs by the way too.

steve +drugs = mac

well anyways thanks for the help guys. Any of you guys seen "mary shelley's frankinstein"? i thought of it as a real good movie. By the way does anyone know how and when to view the live webcast to MWNY01? Thanks :) :) :)

lol by the way - this has gotten to be the most interesting thread i have ever read on this site (well at least for me at least):D

I know of three people, all with college degrees (two in chemistry and one in soome thing else, I don't remember) and I am makeing more oney than them an a software engineer INTERN! The problem is not with the fact they went to college, its how they look at things. They all probably assumed good jobs would be rolling in when they got out of college. That is not the case these days.

Its not the knowledge that hinders these folks job-less (or at least good job-less), its how they use that knowledge, or how they don't use it.

You should encourage your sister to start her own business. Its very scary though, as you have to put an enormous amout of time/money and there is a very high risk that it won't work. But take it from a man who has about six or seven jobs during my life (and I'm only 21), working for other people sucks! Unless you can get into a small group that you know well or an incredible corporation (like the one I'm with at the moment), you are at the whim of others.

I am planning on going to dental school after I get my BS in computer science. I love computers, but I plan on taking an "easier" route. I will be able to have a very secure job, make very good money and still have enough free time to work on other side projects, like coding.

There are many examples of people who have been very sucessfull that droped out of college. Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, the guys who started yahoo. They all took a chance, and it paid off. This is the exception to the rule. If you find yourself in an oppurunity to take a chance like that and it feels right, then don't hesitate. But its better to be safe, than sorry and right now the safest thing to do is get a college degree!

I think cocoaserver.com it down.

-jdog

Back