C++ compiler needed FAST

Kinniken

Registered
Hi, I have a programming assignment due for monday and I'm at home on my parents' iMac, which does not have the dev tools... I'm downloading the dev tools from Apple's website, but it looks like it is going to take 24 hours, which does not leave me time enough to finish my assignment.
Does anyone know where I could get a C++ compiler faster than this? I'm going to need the iostream, string & fstream libraries as well...
Any help would be very, very appreciated.

TIA,

Kinniken

If you have OS X on the imac, it should already come with gcc, or in your case, g++. But you'd have to use the terminal. You can also probably log into your schools server i would suspect? But it would no doubt be the same thing.
A simple editor to use would be pico in the terminal, like this:

pico newfilename.extention <enter>

and it will create the file for you. When you're done, just type crtl+x and press y for yes and then press enter.

Compile the program like this:

g++ filename.extention

this will create a file named "a.out", to run it, type this:

./a.out

you can also add a dash o option, o as in orange, like this:

g++ filename.extention -o filename

this replaces a.out with filename, and you run it just like a.out, ./filename

hope that helps, if you don't have os x, i would look into logging into your school's server, if its available, and it should have the same environ, or download gcc for dos if you have a windows computer around.

You do not understand - I know how to use g++ on OS X. I did most of my project using it. However, g++ is not included with Mac OS X - it's part of the developer tools, which I do not have at my parents' home (I have them at my university dorm). I'm re-downloading them, but Apple's dev tools are big (300 mb) and I'm only getting 4-5 b/s so I'm going to get them too late.
What I need is g++ or any other C++ compiler faster than I can download it from Apple's website.

Oh, and while logging on University computers and compiling there would indeed solve the problem, my University no longer allows that for security reasons :(

Since you have access to the dev. tools online, why not just download the new GCC 3.3 from apple? Its 20mb, but thats not quite 300mb. I hope that helps.

I'm sorry, you'd still have to have the dev. tools and 10.2, but i'm certain you could find gcc somewhere online. I do apologize again, and I wish you luck.

Back