C++ for Dummies....?

Da_iMac_Daddy

Not-so-Neo-DumbA$$
Has anyone read this book? If so is it any good? It seems like the guy uses Visual C++ and I don't know how well I can do on a Mac with this book. Does it cover OOP in C++? I'm really trying to get into programming but the books at school use proprietary librarys. So I'm looking for a book that works anywher. Well thanx for any help.

You have to use a text editor like vi, emacs, or bbedit and cc to compile. I do not think you can use textedit since it saves as rtf instead of an ansi text file.

But you really should not waste your money. Goto:

www.google.com

And search for :

"C++" +tutorial

And look at all of the online tutorials that pop-up.

Good Luck.
SA
:)

you dont need to use the gcc compiler, vi, or emacs, to get this done. There's a little thing called the developer's CD that came with mac os x.... Just open Project Builder (DEV CD) and choose new project, choose C++ tool, this is great. I am able to test my programs easily this way.

the project builder is just an ide, you are still using gcc behind the scenes...

As for books I can reccomend the one by the Deitel Brothers(forget the name). It is well written, has nice examples and is not really platform dependant in any way.

As buc said check out websites. I don't know if you have any previous programming experience but check out http://www.cprogramming.com/ for some nice tutorials that are pretty easy to grasp if you know any other language.

I really only wanted info on the book itself. I've already taken Computer Science classes in high school, and I know how to write programs I just wanted to know about the book. Oh well I already bought it, thanx anyway for the help.

you dont need to use the gcc compiler, vi, or emacs, to get this done. There's a little thing called the developer's CD that came with mac os x.... Just open Project Builder (DEV CD) and choose new project, choose C++ tool,

Is this C++ or ObjC?

Is there a diff?

Even still, from what I've seen about Project Builder, the ide shouldd be different than what is in the book. The code examples can still be written into a text file and compiled quickly at the terminal with gcc. The gui stuff may need some interpretation for the "Aqua" code. Don't know enough about this language myself to be of any more help than that.

Good Luck.
SA
:)

Back