cable modem for iMac G4

tennkat57

Registered
We are looking to go back to cable modem internet service after being disappointed with DSL and wanting to bundle phone tv etc. In the past I know there were some compatibility issues with modems and older iMacs - is this still the case? And can someone recommend a good model to try with our 800MHzPowerPC G4? It will also be connected to a linksys wireless router.
thanks.

... In the past I know there were some compatibility issues with modems and older iMacs - is this still the case? ...
Who told you that? A cable modem serves exactly one purpose. That is to get a TCP/IP connection between your computer or router and your ISP. Most cable modems today adhere to the DOCSIS 2.0 standard. The DOCSIS 3.0 standard has been available for a while now, but has not yet supplanted the older standard. My first cable modem was non-DOCSIS. However, none of my Macs ever had the slightest hint of a problem with any working cable modem. Whoever told you that there were compatibility issues between Macs and cable modems has no idea how Macs, cable modems, and TCP/IP work.

Well, there is a 56K modem that connects to a telephone line Internet access. The kit also comes with a 10/100 Base-T Ethernet that connects to a cable modem or DSL for Internet access to high speed. There is an antenna and an optional slot to support Wi-Fi card for wireless connectivity.

If you have G4 then best thing keep it with network cable rather than WIFI.
You will get better result with network cable internet.

Applerepairsinlondon

If you have G4 then best thing keep it with network cable rather than WIFI.
You will get better result with network cable internet.

Applerepairsinlondon
Nonsense. The limiting factor for the speed of a Wi-Fi connection is the network to which the wireless router is connected, not the computer.

Back