Calendar Hosting

thebiggedbig

Registered
Does anyone know how to host calendars? I've looked into several things, like Exchange, but that's WAY to expensive for what I need. In our home, we have both Macs and PC's using iCal and Outlook, respectively. We need something that would allow us edit and view a calendar on any computer. Having a separate app would do too. Anyone know about something that would work?

Thanks... I finally got around t o trying it out. The file was published using iCal. I installed Sunbird on one of the PCs, but it won't sync with the Spymac calendar. It never asked for a password or anything, so... that could be it. Any ideas?

WebCalendar is a PHP & SQL (MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, DB2, Interbase, MS SQL Server, or ODBC) based calendar script that I've been playing with recently. Handles iCal imports & exports fine, can be configured widely.

I've always understood that iCal can be used against any webDav-enabled host. In a nutshell, you should be able to install a webdav system on a web-enabled computer of your choice (in PHP, Perl, Python, or whatever is the language of your choice), configure it and access and syncronize iCal via any Mac on your network. I've not had time to investigate this yet, but I intend to. It lacks the web interface you get with the other products here, but it strikes me as a slighly simpler solution.

There are several tutorials on doing just this. The simplest appears to be http://www.shawnwall.com/teach/webdav-ical.php . I'm not sure if this is exactly what you had in mind. Hope this helps someone.

thebiggedbig said:
Thanks... I finally got around t o trying it out. The file was published using iCal. I installed Sunbird on one of the PCs, but it won't sync with the Spymac calendar. It never asked for a password or anything, so... that could be it. Any ideas?

Did you ever get it to work? I haven't had any issues. Or so I seem to remember. ;)

Back