Call of Duty online question

kafene

Registered
I wanted to get Call of Duty for my Mac, but mainly so I can play online. Do I need to get the expansion pack United Offensive to do so, or can I just get the main game? And is it free to play online?

Thanks.

kafene.

As far as I know, CoD supports online gaming, in the 'basic' as well as the extended version. The service of online play does not cost (in the way World of Warcraft does), but you have to pay for your online connection of course. :)

Multi-player is free and if you have the expansion pack you actually have 4 possible icons for your games. COD-single, COD-multi, CODuo-single, CODuo-multi.

Generally there seems to be a lot more out there for those with the expansion pack version...at least that's what I've seen.

They make a deluxe edition that includes both on one CD...I picked a copy up from GoGamer.com about a week or two ago for $39.90, which even after $5 in shipping was cheaper than buying just the original version at Apple's store or CompUSA ($49.99 for the game, $29.99 for the expansion).

---

Not sure if you've seen COD2 yet, but it's a blast. My brother bought it so I played around with it a bit during x-mass...awesome game and they said it's set to be released for Mac in May...but unless you have a G5 or better chances are you probably won't be able to play it. Maybe a 1.5GHz+ G4 as the bare minimum if we're lucky. ((The PC requirements are a Pentium 4 2.2 GHz, 512 MB RAM, and a 128MB graphic card.))

mdnky said:
Not sure if you've seen COD2 yet, but it's a blast. My brother bought it so I played around with it a bit during x-mass...awesome game and they said it's set to be released for Mac in May...but unless you have a G5 or better chances are you probably won't be able to play it. Maybe a 1.5GHz+ G4 as the bare minimum if we're lucky. ((The PC requirements are a Pentium 4 2.2 GHz, 512 MB RAM, and a 128MB graphic card.))

I ended up going to CompUSA and payed what you mentioned. I figured I'd need the Expansion pack for additional add-ons to playing online, like I did for StarCraft. Most people play off the expansions.

If the COD2 is going to be a system hog, I may not be able to play it anyways. I have either a desktop G4 1.25 DUAL w/ 64MB Video card or my Powerbook G4 17" 1.67GHz w/ 128MB video card. Both have a Gig of RAM.

Thanks, mdnky.

yeah, buy the expansion pack. The games modes in United Offensive are so much better than for the original. After I bought United Offensive I have never played the original again.

But even if you don't, COD will work fine, and is pretty fun.

I'm hoping (not too optimistic) it isn't a huge system hog either...all I have to play it on is a 15" 1.67GHz PowerBook. However my brother's computer did have some very minor issues with it, he's running an AMD 2600/1GB/nVIDIA 6800Ultra (could be his settings). COD2 Benchmarks

One thing that's interesting...COD2 is one of few games that's SMP aware (courtesy of Intel), and it supposedly makes a noticeable difference. COD2 MP Benchmarks

Back