Camcorder and new OS

la_moo

Registered
I just got a camcorder and the softwear will not work on the new OS.
I got the JVC GZ-MG130U and it will only work on OS 10.4 or older.
What can I do? The softwear company said they may not update. Is there any way to run both OS on the same computer with out reinstalling old OS?
Or would I just have to return the camcorder?
I just installed the latest OS last week!
HELP!

I am curious what you need to do with this cam which requires the (typically inferior) bundled software to be used? I checked and it isn't High Def so you don't need any special codecs. Have you tried the iMovie software which comes with your Mac?

I've owned a JVC camcorder and the bundled software wasn't even close to iMovie. Typically they provide it because Windows (pre-Vista anyway) didn't come with much in the way of DV edit software. Or else, they use their software to tie the camera and its user to their own image hosting website, which you also probably don't need with the advent of Youtube.

If your Mac is recent enough to run Leopard, then it probably has USB 2.0 ports which should be all you need for iMovie or Final Cut to use the cam just fine.

The files show up as .MOI or .MOD and are not recognized by any of my applications on the HD of the computer. I think I need something to read mpeg-2. I also think I will return the camcorder due to how difficult it is to use...cannot plug and play!

Oh I see. It isn't like a tape based cam where you plug it into the computer, fire up iMovie and press play in the capture screen of the program :-( Yet another reason why I stuck with a tape based camcorder. If the cam takes a dive in the river then I've lost 40 mins of video-with the HDD cam I've just lost the last ten hours of my big trip to Europe :-( There's a lot to be said for being able to physically separate the acquired data from the (exposed to danger every time) acquiring hardware.

FWIW I have a Panasonic PV-GS500 camcorder, the last of the 3CCD consumer level cams from Pana which didn't suck. It takes great video, is durable (survived a trip to Europe and the kids..) and has USB and firewire connections on it. Works great with Mac too :) You can get them on eBay pretty cheap these days. And the still cam feature is pretty good too, it surprised me how nice the pics are.

Back