camera videos in iPhotosI

gomango

Registered
I have tried unsuccessfully to transfer camra video snippets from iPhoto to email. Pictures are no problem. How can I achieve this?

I have a Mac Book Pro 10. 4.11

I am pretty much of a beginner, having started 4 years ago, and now knocking on 83 years old, so time may be of an essence!

I have tried unsuccessfully to transfer camra video snippets from iPhoto to email. Pictures are no problem. How can I achieve this?

I have a Mac Book Pro 10. 4.11

I am pretty much of a beginner, having started 4 years ago, and now knocking on 83 years old, so time may be of an essence!

Hello gomango, I have iPhoto '08 ver 7.1.4 and I notice that the email icon is greyed out if I select a movie file so it appears that iPhoto doesn't do what you want to do so if you are using Mail.app, then I suggest you navigate to the movie file on your Hard Drive and drag it out of the Finder window and over the Mail.app icon in your Dock. This should launch Mail.app and open a "Compose new message" window with your movie attached and ready to go.

Try that and see if it suits you .... :)

Thank you for your advice. Unfortunately this did not work. I think i have a bigger problem than the one I gave. I drag or file this movie onto the desk top or any other location than its original iPhoto, and I get the first image, in quicktime screen, or as a document, on clicking the play icon, the icon just shoots across to the end, without playing anything.

Another problem I have with movies, is that some of those I have saved on the desk top in a film file have changed into documents. When I open the file they are therefore no longer playable. I get a feeling that my computer is one of those that are going to take over the world and dispense with us humans! It certainly seems to be doing its own thing,like Hal, even when shut down!!

Regards Bill

Better throw a blanket over the MacBook Pro while we plot against it, Bill .... :)

Let's step back a bit ... what type of camera do you have and what is the file extension of your movies, the 3 or 4 letters that are at the tail end of the file name, after the period (ie: .avi)?

When you download the movies/pics to the MBP, does iPhoto launch automatically when you connect the camera?

If so, have a look in your Applications folder for Image Capture and launch it. Open Image Capture's preferences (in the Image Capture menu or press Command + ,) and click on the General tab. Where it says:

Camera:
"When a camera is connected, open ... " click on the pull-down menu and select Image Capture.

See image below:

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

Quit Image Capture and then connect your camera up and choose the download to computer setting. Image Capture should load and go through the selection choices and have the movie (you may need to create a small movie for this test) download onto your Desktop.

When it's on the Desktop, highlight it by clicking on it and then right-click and choose "Get Info" from the contextual menu.

Have a look at what application shows in the "Open With" menu .... this is what you also need to see for the other movies you say have turned into Documents. Sometimes we need to change what shows here for instance if the wrong application is selected by default (sometimes Mac OS X doesn't recognise the file due to some possibly complex reason about the information attached to the file)

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

If you click on the pull-down menu you'll see a list of all the available apps that can open this type of file.

So, depending on your movie file type, it's possible that you will see QuickTime set by default in the menu. This is good, providing that if you double-click on the movie, it will be launched in QuickTime and you can view it without any issues.

Look below the menu and it says: "Use this app to open all docs like this" Then there is a button which says: "Change All". I'm confident that if this button is accessible for you (in my Get Info this button is greyed out as QuickTime is already choses to manage all my movies), and you click it once you have the correct application set in the pull-down menu, that those movies that now appear as documents *would* change their icons over to the QuickTime icon instantaneously. Of course, they would need to have the same file extension as the movie you just downloaded from your camera ... ie: .avi.

This is all good and well but if your computer is indeed plotting the downfall of humanity, then it may already know what you're planning to do .... :D

Let me know how you get on and there's plenty more we can do to sort this out :)

Back