Camino gets new Safari styled bookmark manager...

serpicolugnut

OS X Supreme Being
Camino developer Mike Pinkerton writes:
Another thing you'll notice if you pull down a nightly is a new bookmark manager. Gone is the drawer that nobody liked. In its place is a safari-style in-window manager with inline editing for titles are URLs. Why did we shamelessly copy Safari? Well, it's a good idea for starters. We also have plans to extend it in several ways in which they haven't which will make it even more useful. The jury is still out on if we'll keep it in the window or if we'll move it into a separate bookmark window. It should be easy to do should we decide to. It's also not that pretty, so don't start bitching about how crappy it looks. It works, the polishing comes later.

It is now available in the latest nightly build. It doesn't look quite as bad as Mike thinks, but it can definitely use some sprucing up.

Here's a screenshot...

Attachments

• camino-01.jpg
    camino-01.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 180
i really haven't enjoyed using safari...

i'll stick with my camino. :D

oh and to make this somewhat worthwhile i also noticed a lot of little tweeks in the appearance area, font size changes...

what about history? history in camino sucks imo!

i hate that it's all organized by site. yes, that should be an option, but i prefer to see all the pages i have viewed, in the order that i viewed them. :(

Camino (and it's cousin Mozilla) still render more sites correctly than Safari. With each build Safari gets closer, but Mozilla's rendering engine is much more complete and standards compliant.

Safari still has this annoying habit of timing out when fetching URLs. It happens on multiple computers, and it's really annoying, since the site will come right up in Camino.

The next official build of Safari will strike even closer to Caminos base, since it will not only have tabs, but also a very good AutoForm Complete, which Camino still doesn't have.

The whole Camino project is going to be perceived as falling behind, at least for the next month or two, while the developers backtrack on issues that arose when they moved to the trunk. The speed gain was significant, and after this little hump, Camino will be back on track.

If Safari could only sort the bookmarks. It's not like I have a neat compulsive disorder or anything... :) And I can't find the build of Safari that has tabs...

camino keeps getting better and better. i hope we see the continued improvement of camino... i think there is a place for both camino and safari on the mac.

How's the stability of Camino recently? I got the official "Camino" build and love it but I could really use some extra speed that I hear Mach-o provides but I don't want it crashing every 2 minutes.

The drawer was a nice idea since you can browse your bookmarks while still in the site but overall I think it's ineffective since it has to resize the window you're working with. Others may dissagree with me but then they probably have newer computers and more screen space.

I actually switched my default to mozilla which I thought I'd never do again after Chimera but this speed is good. If Camino has it too, I'd appreciate making another switch (as inconvenient as that is)

Back