Camino with Safari Tabs

Wow, you're right. I've not checked out the activity there for a while, but it definitely seems promising. It seems that its a blend of OmniWeb and Safari. I'm really liking this.

It looks nicer, yes. But it doesn't beat Safari's simplicity and looks and does not compare to OmniWeb's feature set.

I find Camino as simple to use as Safari. I tried OmniWeb, i don't like the splash screen, the fact that you have to pay for it, i find the tab bar they use really odd, and i coudn't even check my email (doesn't work with gmail).

It seemed to render pages just as fast as Camino, though.

I think more features will be brought into Camino as more people use it -- right now i think the mozilla team is more concerned with mozilla and firefox.

OmniWeb is testing 5.1, which will support gmail beautifully. Release is expected in a few weeks. Guess my feelings _against_ Camino stem from how ugly it was (in my eyes) earlier. But tastes differ... I personally see Safari/OmniWeb much like iMovie/FinalCut Pro, and that's why paying for OmniWeb doesn't seem that absurd to me. ;-)

fryke said:
OmniWeb is testing 5.1, which will support gmail beautifully. Release is expected in a few weeks. Guess my feelings _against_ Camino stem from how ugly it was (in my eyes) earlier. But tastes differ... I personally see Safari/OmniWeb much like iMovie/FinalCut Pro, and that's why paying for OmniWeb doesn't seem that absurd to me. ;-)

I have to admit, it is pretty aesthetically pleasing after you get used to it. Is there a way to disable the splash screen?

The tab bar is kind of weird, it just seems to take up a lot of screen real estate. I haven't deleted it like i have IE and some others ;)

I hope they're going to implement an additional 'normal' tab bar in a future version, but I couldn't say... :) The splash screen... You mean when you start the application? I only see it for a split-second, and only when I install a newer version, because it doesn't really crash that often, and I don't restart my computer that often, either...

fryke said:
It looks nicer, yes. But it doesn't beat Safari's simplicity and looks and does not compare to OmniWeb's feature set.

You're most definitely correct, however it seems that they are moving in that direction. Its not replacing Safari yet for me after trying it out a bit, but I am happy to see them progressing.

By no means do I want this to come off as an insult, but I'm sorry guys I'm failin to see the point of paying for a browser where there are so many free ones out there..

And yeah, those tabs look very nice. :D Hope they keep up the good work

new tabs look nice. although I wish the tabs would load the same was a safari ... btw camino (since .7) renders pages FASTER than safari... try it out
:)

Camino has some big things on the horizon for the .9 release. One thing that it will gain that no other browser has currently (except for OmniWeb, but thats a paid product so I won't count it) is reorderable tabs.

The other area where Camino excels is it's bookmark management. Being able to search your bookmarks is a great feature.

Camino's development progress is finally picking up. If the team can get .9 out with the reorderable tabs and the new display engine that uses Quartz instead of Quickdraw before the end of the year, it will be a major accomplishment.

They plan to switch from quickdraw to quartz?

(I'm not sure if you are suggesting this, or you hope that this planned thing is done by the end of the year)

But yeah, i think 0.9 will be awesome

serpicolugnut said:
Camino has some big things on the horizon for the .9 release. One thing that it will gain that no other browser has currently (except for OmniWeb, but thats a paid product so I won't count it) is reorderable tabs.

The other area where Camino excels is it's bookmark management. Being able to search your bookmarks is a great feature.

Camino's development progress is finally picking up. If the team can get .9 out with the reorderable tabs and the new display engine that uses Quartz instead of Quickdraw before the end of the year, it will be a major accomplishment.

Definitely exciting. It would also be nice to see some interoperability between Camino and the Firefox plugins. I've found some excellent plugins for Firefox that would be EXCELLENT for Camino.

One note is that you can search bookmarks in Safari, however its not readily visible, but I suppose its supposed to be intuitive since its via cmd-f.

Thanks for the info!

Can anyone post screenshots? I searched google, no luck. I'm away from my Mac for the time being.

-Thanks in advance

Back