Can a 128mb graphics card be slower than a 32?

g4geomdd

Registered
Hello! I have a G4mdd dual 8's. Has always been a little slow on internet and especially youtube. I maxed the ram to 2gb, helped both. I upgraded the video from the stock 32mb card to a ati 9000 pro mac ed (new) 128mb. In the agp slot. Video has remained the same. But the net is loading slower. I thought it would help with the choppiness of video. Loaded the included software. I am no expert but is there some basic setting I might be missing, or is the old computer just happier with the old card? Real curious why the net would be slow loading?

Any help greatly appreciated.

For surfing the web, the amount of RAM on the video card is inconsequential. Neither card is very good and the 9000 Pro would only be an upgrade if you played games due to the increased amount of RAM on the card.

I'm willing to bet your problem is due to a lack of the most up to date video card drivers. You can't just put card in a computer without installing the drivers and expect it to perform at it's best. Most of the time, the drivers you get in the box are outdated if not poor implementations of the reference drivers.

You need to find the most up to date Mac drivers for your ATI Radeon and install them. Good luck finding them at ATI's website (which is now part of AMD). It might just be too old.

Right now, the drivers for your marginally worse nVidia card are better than the ones driving your marginally better ATI card so the ATI card comes out looking worse.

Last edited:
What affects the speed of the net other than the semi obvious.

isp I have comcast on my mini I get speeds of 25 plus
router modem supposedly good for speeds of 120+
I have a non intel chip I heard that is the issue?
G4 is just to old?
Any easy fix? Maxed out memory that did help! A lot! video is still choppy but at least it shows it now.

Back