Can anyone recommend a good tablet?

borlag

Registered
I'm looking to get a tablet/stylus. Can anybody recommend a good one, or any I should be steering clear of? I'm plenty experienced on the graphics side of things, I just have absolutely none using a tablet. I'm looking to make the leap.

Thanks!

I would definitely recommend the Wacom tablets as the best supported tablets on the market. I have owned other brands, but as the biggest player in this little niche Wacom is the only company I've found that has consistent software support in all your applications. Also, its *infinitely* easier to get replacement pens, nibs, and accesories for a Wacom than just about anything else (expensive, though, so try not to lose any of the spare nibs your tablet will come with).

If you're buying second-hand, steer clear of any tablet that uses ADB connections. This is a connection format that died out nearly a decade ago, and is not supported by Mac OS X at all. The current generation of Wacom tablets use USB2 connection, which is very fast and reliable. Earlier models (such as Intuos 2) use USB1 which is also pretty good.

I use a Wacom Intuos 2 (A5 work area / A4 footprint). I've had it for about 5 years and it's great.... nothing bad to say about it at all. If you do much graphics work or you have even the slightest bit of RSI then buy one immediately. =)

Back