Can anyone recommend a UPS device for a Quicksilver G4 tower running Server 10.3?

brianleahy

Colonel Panic
There are abundant UPS devices out there, and some say they will shut down OSX, but so far I have seen none that will support OSX Server.

Anyone have a suggestion?

It appears that OS 10.3 supports USB UPS's (if you plug one in and open the battery menu item in System>Lib>CoreServices>MenuExtras it show battery charging, using, etc) I just got one for our G5 server today. I will test it and see if it shuts the machine off when it runs down.

Also note, on the battery indicator, you can tell it us UPS and not laptop becuase it shows the battery verticle.

Emerrill said:
It appears that OS 10.3 supports USB UPS's (if you plug one in and open the battery menu item in System>Lib>CoreServices>MenuExtras it show battery charging, using, etc) I just got one for our G5 server today. I will test it and see if it shuts the machine off when it runs down.

Also note, on the battery indicator, you can tell it us UPS and not laptop becuase it shows the battery verticle.
Does that work for OS X Server? That's what Brian wants to know.

Arden said:
Does that work for OS X Server? That's what Brian wants to know.

Yes. Remeber that OS X server and OS X client are the same OS with a little added software. For that matter I dont know if this is supported by client (our server is running Server)

Ok.

I tried it, and when the battery gets to its 'low' state, it appears to be shutting down the server, but for some reason it is restarting it (with restart after power failure enabled or disabled). So im going to toy around more, but right now the built in support appears flawed. But there are some 3rd party shareware apps on versiontracker

I'm using a MGE ellipse premium 800 here for over 2 years now. Worked fine with OS 9 and all X versions. MacOS X is supported with a spezial driver (PrefPane) that automaticly shuts down open apps if battery reaches a defined level.

But I don't know if there are any changes under OS X Server but I don't think so. And with the normal OS X version absolut no problem.

Back