can anyone recommend an ethernet modem?

The7artist7

Freelance Illustrator
Hey guys - I've kinda already asked this elsewhere in the forums but really need a recommendation here as I haven't a clue which make/model to trust/will work well.

I currently have a thomson speedtouch 330 USB (provided by my isp - Toucan ) that works ok with my old G4 - however not a chance of working at all with my brand new intel iMac24"... ... so, I have got as far as knowing I need an ethernet adsl modem and would like 2-4 ports if possible. as far as price goes, I would really like to keep it as low as is possible without getting a product that will be useless or work badly.

So if anyone can actually recommend a product (i.e. is Thomson any good? as their higher specced modems seem a decent price) that would be great!

thanks in advance :D

so... as I've never knowingly used 'routers' before, could someone explain what the advantage would be to use one and whether I would still need a modem? There would only be myself using this, so no 'other user security issues' other than the net to take into account (if that makes any sense / difference!)

Ah, sorry. Should have been more specific. Get a Linksys cable box (this is your 'modem' -- this requires and ISP with cable modem capability, like cox or roadrunner).

A router is an ethernet box that multiplies the number of connections you can have to one internet connection, and those comps can network as well. Just plug each device into the router via ethernet cable.

Add a wireless Linksys transmitter and you can roam your house without even plugging in. That's what I do at home...

Once you get the 'modem' you'll need to set up a WEP password (128 bit encryption) and turn on the firewall by accessing its firmware using your web browser. Most modems have http://192.168.1.1 as their default access address.

So would I need cable to duplicate the setup you recommend? as I don't have cable yet. And just to clarify - you're saying I would need to buy a new modem and a router?

Hmmm ok - so anyone know if I can get Linksys in the uk? - did a google & ebay search but came up with nothing...

Also anyone else have a make they could recommend? If I can get a couple of people to agree that a make or model is great then that would be cool :)

(Natobasso - I very much agree with the quote:

"The price one pays for pursuing any profession or calling
is an intimate knowledge of its ugly side."
--James Baldwin

such a shame that that is so, so true...)

I thought it very fitting indeed. Too bad it IS all too common to see the ugly side of things when design projects get 'lost in translation'. ;/

Back