can apple read dvd+r

cane2

Registered
Hi I'm from holland and try to get some information
I have I mac G4 Jaguar and lacie external DVD-RW and DVD+RW but can't read DVD+RW what do I wrong ???

cane2 said:
Hi I'm from holland and try to get some information
I have I mac G4 Jaguar and lacie external DVD-RW and DVD+RW but can't read DVD+RW what do I wrong ???
I believe that support for DVD+R/RW is built into Panther. All my discs read fine (+ & -) without any problems whatsoever where previously I had difficulties with Jaguar. Hope this helps.

Yes and no appears to be the answer at this time. I have a B/W Mac G3 (upgraded to a Sonnet G4/500) at work and a new dual 1.8 G5 at home. Both are running X.3.2. We have a DVD+R burner inside a Windoze PC at work. I burned a DVD+R disc the other day. I would mount on the new G5 at home but not in the B/W at work. The machines have different DVD drives on them and I think the hardware is the issue. I'm looking into it further and will report back.

I recently replaced the CD-RW writer in my G4/Digital Audio with the Pioneer A06 superdrive. I purchased the latest iLife package to get iDVD and then used Pacifist to extract the DVD Player application from my Panther CD's. The Pioneer superdrive is capable of reading/writing to -R,-RW and to +R, +RW. However, I found that the Apple iDVD software could only be used to write to DVD-R/RW and the DVD player would only read DVD-R/RW. I can use Toast 6 and write DVD+R/RW's and they read just fine on my TV/DVD player. The snafu is the Apple software.

Hope this helps,
Matt

CEMatt are you referring to the Apple DVD Player application? I made a DVD+RW movie and it played fine, but we have a first generation DVD player, so it didn't work there.

And i have the Pioneer 106D

Urbansory said:
CEMatt are you referring to the Apple DVD Player application? I made a DVD+RW movie and it played fine, but we have a first generation DVD player, so it didn't work there.

And i have the Pioneer 106D

Yes...Since my G4/466 did not come with the superdrive, none of the DVD software was installed...so when I replaced the CD-RW drive with the Pioneer A06(106), I had to use Pacifist to extract the Apple DVD Player from my Panther CD's. To get iDVD, I had to purchase the Apple iLife package...then I found that iDVD would only write to DVD-R's. I used Toast 6 to write to the DVD+R's I had bought(not knowing any better)...then found I could not play these DVD's on my G4 using Apple's DVD Player...the DVD Player would only accept DVD-R's. Mind you, both types of DVD's played okay through my TV's DVD player.

Did this answer your question?
Matt

My experience was somewhat different. I had a good time taking apart the machine to replace the OEM (SONY) CD but once I figured out that I had to take off the front plastic (the "Silver" in Quicksilver) I knew I had to remove the two clear plastic "handles" with my 7/64in.hex key and then remove the case holding the drive etc. it was 'easy'. But once the hardware was installed Jaguar was happy to greet it and even burned a CD and later a DVD for me. No special anything. And it works with Panther too.

Back