Can "Connect to server" but can't write to it

doctormelodious

Registered
Greetings,

In the Finder I am using "Connect to Server" to connect to a couple of different servers via FTP. One of them is my web space with my hosting provider. The other belongs to a company I do subcontractor work for. I can mount both servers, and copy files OUT of them, but when I try to drag a file IN, I get an error message:

The item "blahblah.txt" could not be moved because "mywebsite.com" cannot be modified."

This happens on both of these FTP sites. I can connect to them with Cyberduck, or via the "ftp" command in the terminal, and write files to them that way. Why can't I do it through the Finder?

I am running OS X 10.3.9 on a Dual USB iBook (800MHz G3).

Thanks!
Perry

Zammy-Sam said:
Welcome to the forum, Perry.
Finders built-in ftp-client is not known to be the best. Many ppl actually use RBrowserLite instead.

It actually goes beyond this. :)

Finder's built in ftp capabilities are limited to read-only, even if the share is read/write. So, its not necessarily a point of the product not working, its more of a 'feature' of the design. Just to clarify! ;)

Connect to Server is used for a miriad of items. You can connect to
-Shares on a server via appleshare (afp://)
-Shares on a server via server message block (smb://)
-FTP shares using the IP address
...probably many others that I don't use or haven't had to use yet. That being said you'll find that you will have more luck with FTP if you use a client app.

albertomichieli said:
so no other solution then use ftp clients such as Transmit?
So why is it there Connect to server if does not work?
Well, it does work, just not the way YOU want it. Most people need to connect to ftp servers mainly to download documents from them. That works.

The only thing that doesn't work is uploading, but if you read the specs, it isn't supposed to. Not a bug, but hardly a feature either...

Back