Can I develop with an iBook as is?

McFly

Registered
Is there a compiler shipped with the iBook? And some other development tools (like ProjectBuilder) ?

I had a quick look at the iBook in a shop and when I tried 'make' in a terminal I had the following answer: 'command not found' or something similar. Does not look good... Could be a path issue, but still...

I understood that the iBook is shipped with MacOS X 10.1, and this version should have the Developer Tools CD included, right?
Or the version shipped with the iBook is limited and I would have to buy some development tools?

Thanks,
-T

It does not come with the developer tools installed, nor do I believe does it come with a dev tools disc. However, the dev tools are a free download once you register at http://connect.apple.com

There are plenty of compilers that come with the dev tools, along with a project builder (I use the terminal, I just find it easier).

You have two free possibilities:

1) If your iBook comes with the OS X Developer Tools CD, install them and you're all set. (I don't know whether or not it comes with the CD, but I suspect it does.)

2) If there is no Developer Tools CD, simply go to http://developer.apple.com and enroll as an ADC (Apple Developer Connection) member--the entry-level membership is free (the upper-level ones cost a pile of money). Once you are enrolled, you can download the Developer Tools from that site. You won't need to burn a CD to install them; you can do this from the package that you'll have when you finish the download.

You could, of course, buy Metrowerks' Code Warrior developer tools, but with the free ones from Apple, I don't think you'll need them.

Can anybody provide an exhaustive list of what is in the Developer Tools CD?
I guess that's a lot, but the output of 'ls -R' should be ok ;-)

Thanks,
-T

Originally posted by McFly
Can anybody provide an exhaustive list of what is in the Developer Tools CD?
I guess that's a lot, but the output of 'ls -R' should be ok ;-)

Thanks,
-T

Since I downloaded the dev tools from apple, I have no dev tools cd to ls. However, I did ls the /Developer/ directory, as that's where all of the dev tools are installed and I piped it into a text file. This file is 680 kb, so I doubt you want me to post it let alone try to look through it. Basically, if you want to do any development work (like programming), download it; if not, don't waste your time.

Back