Can I do the following?

Sirtovin

Senior Switcher Tech Guru
I want to hook up my existing VGA monitor which is a 17" Samsung SyncMaster 753DF...

I have that Mac plug so my machine works with the Monitor... (My system requirements are posted in my sign folks...)

My question is this: I want to hook up my existing VGA monitor to one of those VGA switch boxes that can switch from Computer to Computer...

but I want to hook up my Mac and a regular PC so that it shares the one monitor only...

I looked at a device at Compusa that will do just this... but it wanted me to hook up a PS/2 keyboard to it and the mouse... I don't want to have to do this unless I only do this for the PC side and still not have to worry about my mac usb keyboard and mouse not working?

Anyone know what I need?

Usually, these switch boxes connect one display, keyboardd and mouse to a number of computers, allowing you to switch them easily.

That doesn't mean you HAVE to do it that way. I think what you will want to do is plug the one display into the switcher, but leave the keyboards and mouses connected to their respective computers (does that make sense?).

There should be no reason this shouldn't work ... the switch will still swap the display just as you'd expect.

On the other hand, the USB-equipped switcher would be pretty cool, and would allow you to switch the mouse and keyboard as well. It just depends how you want to do it ... do you want to share a keyboard and mouse between the two?

Originally posted by symphonix
Usually, these switch boxes connect one display, keyboardd and mouse to a number of computers, allowing you to switch them easily.

That doesn't mean you HAVE to do it that way. I think what you will want to do is plug the one display into the switcher, but leave the keyboards and mouses connected to their respective computers (does that make sense?).

There should be no reason this shouldn't work ... the switch will still swap the display just as you'd expect.

On the other hand, the USB-equipped switcher would be pretty cool, and would allow you to switch the mouse and keyboard as well. It just depends how you want to do it ... do you want to share a keyboard and mouse between the two?

Nah.... It would be kind of stupid to share a Mac Keyboard and Mouse with a Windows Keyboard and Mouse... So I am going to have to have 2 seprate setups.

Back