Can I Download MacOS X for Free?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea why Apple made the decision that it did to charge money. But it does say a few things...

They don't like grey marketeers because the price is equivalent the world over despite economic differences.

They want to be able to legally enforce the license. Some legal agreements demand that people pay a token fee so that there is an exchange on money even if it is no where near the value of the agreement (Paying a token $100 for a mansion)

The large fee does imply that they have worked out a system of handling feedback from users that requires real humans looking over the feedback.

They are using the fee as some sort of barometer to test public opinion on what they should charge for the release version of Mac OS X.

The price being in the range of what a small development company would charge for a game or basic product gives them a benchmark to convince developers that there is a paying market for Mac OS X and to start porting their apps before the OS arrives.

The $30 fee obviously didn't make any sort of dent in Apple's pockets this quarter (look at their earnings short fall). Perhaps they wanted to squeeze every dime they could out of people, but there are plenty of other reasons why a $30 price point for a beta makes a lot of sense.

I had to put my two cents since I'm a Designer FROM ECUADOR!

The truth is that a teacher making $30 bucks is not going to need OSX PB and I probably don't need it either. However, it would be very useful to start testing it, just to get acquainted with the technological changes in the way I earn a living.

Also, Apple will benefit from having better informed users that can switch to OSX quicker, but I have to admit... it does put quite a big dent in MY budget too. Why? well I make about $600 a month, you do the math.

I totally agree that it is fair for Apple to charge a nominal fee for all the documentation in PB but I still wish it was for free.

Just another perspective ; )

To all who want to see my reply go to
MacOSX.com > MacOSX Beta: General Discussion
Can I Download Mac OS X For Free? (Part2)

Special mention : roy

I'll close the thread here. Thanks for your time.

ceejay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back