Can I get a linksys USB wireless adaper to work with OSX?

aluminum

Registered
I received a Linksys USB Wireless Network Adapter as a gift. I'd like to use it on my desktop G4 to connect to our wireless network, but it appears that Linksys does not offer any Mac drivers.

Does anyone know if/how to get this working with a Mac? I've been googling for a bit and haven't come up with anything yet. Are there generic USB drivers for these sort of things?

OS X does not need much in the way of drivers. Try connecting it, then set up the Network panel>Location to Automatic and it should 'see' it.

Of course OSX needs drivers. Most of them have already been installed and more added along the way to give the appearance of just plug and play.

For what it's worth, I heard that Airport uses orinoco chipsets so if you get a third party wireless adapter with the same chipset chances are it might work.

To clarify, this is a USB adapter. It plugs into the USB port.

System profiler sees it, but the network control panel only shows BUILT IN MODEM and ETHERNET options. Can't seem to force it to add a USB option.

Aluminum,

Did you get the USB wireless to work? Did you have to install Airport?

Before I buy, I would like to know your experiences.

Did anyone have any luck getting this to work?

Or . . is there anyone new reading this thread that has any ideas. I am not to optimistic about this working on a mac thru the USB port.

Help.

Back