Can I make an audio CD of Mac reading text doc?

Chris18

Registered
Hello,

I recently started grad school & am looking for a way to use my wasted 1 hour commute. Is it possible to record the Mac reading a text document and either make an audio CD or download it to an ipod? The professor gives the text in power points.

I'm running 10.3.9 on an older G4. I've got Textedit, and Simplet text (in Classic). Also have Itunes & Toast 6.0. - Just in case the answer is plainly obvious in those- well- to anyone besides me.

Thanks for any and all help!

Chris

That is what I was going to suggest as well, works well to record any sound from the mac.

That said the speech to text function is only OK IMO, but give it a go.

For me that hour of commute was never wasted at Grad school, that's when I had time to read!

Thanks for the try- but that program only works with 10.4 & higher. I've got 10.3.9. I wrote the manufacturer & they don't have any older versions.

Here's the $4 solution. Buy a male-to-male 1/8" audio cable (like this one)

Run it from the Headphone port to the Mic port on your Mac. Then all you have to do is start the text-to-speech going, and use a free program like Audacity to record it.

Panther's text reading isn't that great unfortunately, and I'd recommend some 3rd party software like Textspeech Pro from Digital Future Software. It costs a little bit ($100 normally, on sale $50 right now), but talk to your campus bookstore or email the manufacturer, you may be able to get a student discount. Good luck.

TypeIt ReadIt can convert text to a sound file. I suggest you use Alex or a similar voice for the sound file. Then all you have to do is place the sound file in iTunes and burn it to a CD or send it to you iPod. You may want to convert the sound file to an mp3 or AAC first when working with your iPod. The program is freeware :) www.schoolfreeware.com

Back