Can i share Document folder?

locash

Registered
I have 2 users on my powerbook running osx.3.8
Can i share a common Documents folder with the other user?
i dont want to have to duplicate files in each users document folder.
pt 2
I want to have one iphoto library that each user uses and shares...possible?

thanks.
Mitch

How did you get your hands on 10.3.8? ;)
I think it should work if you play around with the ownerships of those folders. mark them and press Apple+i. Here you can set users that are permitted to have access to that folder. I think you should be able to share them. However, am not sure if it would be that simple with the iphoto library. I think it will copy all files into your own library or so...

I would recommend against having a shared Documents folder that resides inside one user's folder. Unexpected things can happen when one user tries to access restricted items (which the Documents folder is) in another user's home folder, since some of those changes may require taking ownership of those items in the other user's folder (did that make sense?).

If you're looking to simply synchronize application settings across users, setting each user up individually would be the way to go.

I agree with ElDiabloConCoca that you are asking for trouble attempting to share the contents of a folder that is resident inside a given user's folder. However, there is the /Users/Shared folder that is setup for sharing data between users. Everyone has read/write access to the contents of that folder and it should serve the purpose. Save your Documents folder for those things that you do not want to share with the world.

I presume that is 10.2.8 and not 10.3.8?

Back