Can i switch my pc to a mac ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spieljunge

Registered
hello
i am a webdesigner and i saw a couple weeks ago in a other company they all work with mac s . now i was looking around and try to find some informations about mac s and mac os .
i bought a new computer couple weeks ago
here are the parts i build in
Asus M2N68-AM SE2 Motherboard - Socket AM2+, MATX, Audio, GeForce 7025 Graphics, SATA, RAID
Corsair XMS2 4GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory Upgrade - 2x2048MB
AMD Phenom X4 9600 Quad Core Processor HD9600WCGDBOX - 2.30GHz, 4MB Cache, 1800MHz (3600 MT/s) FSB, Agena, Quad-Core, Retail, Socket AM2+, Processor with Fan
Samsung SH-S223B/BEBE DVDRW Drive - SATA, DVD+R 22X, DVD+RW 8X, DVD-RW 6X, DVD-RAM 12X, CD-R 48X (OEM)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 Hard Drive - 750GB, 7200rpm, 32MB, Serial ATA-300
Ultra LS500 Lifetime Series 500W Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, PCI-Express, Lifetime Warranty

so now i wanna know can i install mac os snow leopard on it and use it like a mac ?
can i do all my stuff like i now do like watching movies create website with dreamweaver cs4 and use ftp programs like filezilla . whats with messengers browsergames emailprograms .
i have now 3 computers in the network is a mac compactible to windows 7 networks ?

i am happy when somebody can give me some helpful informations.

I think you mean "***" ;)

You would be better off buying a used Mac. It will do all the normal things computers do. Just make sure it's an Intel based newer Mac or OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard won't load.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, not legally.

Well actually Apple's EULA states that it has to be a Apple labeled computer. So all you need to do is get a Apple sticker and stick it on your computer case. He He :D

Sorry but I couldn't resist ;)

You should talk to Fryke about it. I think he has a Hackintosh

You can not legally install OS X on a PC but you can install Windows on a Mac. Networking and file shearing can be a real pain between a Mac and a PC for Mac newbes. Yes the Mac is compatible with Windows 7 networks. I use my Mac book on my network at home and the windows and Mac computers can see each other. The Mac works with UNIX and Linux better then windows though.

There is a Mac version of dreamweaver cs4. On older versions it was on the same disk as the windows version. Mac comes with iChat and it works with other messengers. Web browser games work fine on the Mac. I use firefox on all my computers.

Hope this was helpful

There are a lot of people doing it, although not legally and it's not for the squeamish. I've tried it in the past and it took about three days of fiddling (and a bit of extra hardware like a new network card) until my '***' (google for that) was running. It has become better since *** but I've never tried that.

Overall, if you want to "try" the Mac world, buy a Mac Mini on eBay. If you don't like it you can sell it again with marginal loss or even some profit (depending on luck).

If you want to go through the hassle, google for installing OS X on a PC. You should find enough information there. There are also other forums that deal with ***. This is not one of them. Because this forum respects the EULA that Apple has regarding OS X installations, you won't find assistance here on configuring a ***.

My recommendation would be to leave what works on that PC, such as Windows or Linux or any of the open source BSDs available. Even Haiku OS alpha 1 should work fine on that (though you might not be able to do much with it right now despite how well it does run). Find yourself a used Intel Mac so that you can upgrade to Snow Leopard, and run OS X that way. Or if Leopard is enough for you, you can find some good prices on PowerPC Macs, though I would only consider a G5-based Mac or one of the last PowerMac G4 towers sold. Anything less than that wouldn't be worth it unless you're a retro Mac enthusiast.

We don't discuss these things here. We also don't link to other forums discussing these things.

Yes you can switch your PC to a Mac. By selling the PC on eBay and buying a Mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back