Can I upgarde from OSX 10.3.9 to 10.4

andersonvong

Registered
I would like to know whether I can upgrade from OSX 10.3.9 to OSX 10.4. My Mac is PowerMac G4 Dual 1G w/ 1.25G Memory. HD has enough space (OSX 10.4 only needs 3G).

Thanks

Anderson

I got Mac OSX 10.4 DVD installer. However, when I try to double click the 10.4 icon, system told me to restart. After reboot, nothing has been done and no installation proceeded.

andersonvong said:
I got Mac OSX 10.4 DVD installer. However, when I try to double click the 10.4 icon, system told me to restart. After reboot, nothing has been done and no installation proceeded.
You already got your Tiger DVD? Wow, that's quick.. Or is it one of those betas?

So the official Tiger DVD allows you to both upgrade your system from a Panther or earlier Mac OS X installation or install a fresh copy? Sounds good to me :p

It would sound much better if the official update Tiger DVD would allow both kind of installations as well. ;)

my question is... is there an advantage to a clean install over an upgrade from 10.3.9 i just got my ibook this week and dont want to waste my time installing everything for me to have to do it all again in a week when my up to date copy comes

If you only just got your iBook now, I'd definitely do a clean install of Tiger. It's "better" in that you won't have any old stuff left over from Panther.

interesting how the original poster never came back after he was called out on potentially having an illegal copy.

Let's all meet at Starbucks tonight. We'll hunt him down and get Steve's Tiger back :)

Whoever orders from PCmall or MacMall got tiger 1 week early - man was that a screw up or was that a screwup ? :p

rhealeyogden said:
my question is... is there an advantage to a clean install over an upgrade from 10.3.9 i just got my ibook this week and dont want to waste my time installing everything for me to have to do it all again in a week when my up to date copy comes

With Tiger, you will have 3 choices: (a) (custom) erase and install, (b) archive and install (and do preserve user and network settings if you have to choose), and (c) update. All the procedures should work well. However, if too much application-reinstallation time is not involved (for you), then I would choose (a). And although not much, if anything, is to be gained, I would write zeros to my internal before installing. Using (a) is the only way of being sure that you have the best install possible, although you should be very comfortable using the other procedures.

Personally, I have set up a (bootable) external firewire with 4 (actually 5) partitions: (1) holds my 10.3.9 version and (2), (3), and (4) will hold Tiger installed each of the 3 ways. Once I get (b) or (c) working properly, I will clone it to my internal. Then, I will take my time in getting (a) working just right. Subsequently, I will write zeros to my internal and clone (a) to the internal.

Obviously, I like to tinker. But, when done, I will be in a postion to say something about how well the 3 intallation methods work (at least how well they worked for me).

wow thanks for the advice guys... i so stole this post since i have a legit question... ill prolly wont be installing tiger for a week or two into may since i am busting out to vegas in a week and dont want to deal with that till im back... so ill check in for sure and pls post your reconmendations after the upgrade versus the clean install and i will go from there... everything important is still sitting on the desktop so no worries there... ill just keep using this kick ass ibook for internet and simple shit till i get the good word.. they itll turn into my everything machine... ooooooooh garage band remixes here i come... thanks

ryan

lol, if you noticed from my other thread I created, I also am confused by the three options. what is the difference between archive and upgrade?

archieve will copy your user-preferences and files into another folder, while the upgrade installation will use your settings.

Scottfab said:
lol, if you noticed from my other thread I created, I also am confused by the three options. what is the difference between archive and upgrade?

Archive and install creates a folder, called Previous System Folder, that contains your old system--deactivated. This procedure should leave all of your user accounts, including home folders and their contents, untouched. Still, it always is good practice to be well backed up preferrably with a bootable clone of your internal. You can delete the Previous System Folder after being sure nothing from it is needed.

Back