Can I upgrade my 30GB HD to 100GB? Using a 800MHz G3 iBook

macosxisgreat

Registered
Hi, I'm running tight on disk space with my default 30GB HD. Any idea if I can bring my iBook into a local Apple store and have them replace my 30GB HD with a 100GB one? Also, any specific 100GB HDs you'd recommend for a 800GHz G3 iBook if this is indeed possible? Oh and one last thing, how much do you think it'd cost to have someone at a Apple store do this excluding the cost of buying a 100GB HD? Sorry for all the questions, any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

macosxisgreat said:
Hi, I'm running tight on disk space with my default 30GB HD. Any idea if I can bring my iBook into a local Apple store and have them replace my 30GB HD with a 100GB one? Also, any specific 100GB HDs you'd recommend for a 800GHz G3 iBook if this is indeed possible? Oh and one last thing, how much do you think it'd cost to have someone at a Apple store do this excluding the cost of buying a 100GB HD? Sorry for all the questions, any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Try MCE Ind. and this link

OR

Get an extenal HD and use it via FireWire. I've heard LaCie makes good ones. :D

Peace!

Hi macosxisgreat and welcome to the forum.
If money is no concern and portability plays the major role, get yourself a 100gb 2.5'' disk and let if get installed. However, a couple of ppl managed to install a new disk in their ibooks by themselves. You might want to search for those threads.
If money is a concern and you wouldn'T mind to carry an external disk with yourself, I would pick a firewire 3.5'' enclosure with a 160gb disk.

so I take it that the Apple store will likely be able to perform this action...what type (ide, ata, etc) and size HD should I look for? I'm going to go for replacing the internal HD. thanks for the help!

The Apple Store around me won't touch such a task, as well as most of the other authorized repair centers. There are a few companies that offer the service...price is dependent upon the drive you select.

From an earlier thread (there's a few on this topic):

MacResQ (PowerbookResQ)

MCE Technologies

TechRestore

as long as your upgrading, there's no reason (other than price) not to use a faster drive. the stock drive is 4,200 rpm and the 5,400 drives make disk calls a lot snappier. by all accounts it won't significantly heat things up more or cost too much in battery power.

disclaimer - ymmv and the you won't find me to be able to charge me :D

well I've emailed them about their service and if their reply is as I expect it to be I'll be taking my mac over there for a repair :cool:

DD&T has a good reputation. I've seen good reports about them, and not any bad ones.

Back