Can I use any 802.11g router with AirPort Extreme?

abkbolt

Registered
I had previously bought an Airport Extreme card for my iBook G4, with the intent of buying an AirPort base station later when I could afford it. I know that SmallDog has them refurbished for like 169.00, but I had found another manufacturer's product thru google (SMC Barricade) for like 107.00, with a print server, which is a considerable savings to me. Is is possible to use just any base station or are there mac specific vendors that I should consider instead. Any knowledge or experience to share is greatly appreciated.

-Andy

I use a Microsloth router (got it really cheap) and a Belkin 802.11b access point with no problem. One thing to keep in mind is that the router may not have software for the Mac. Any router worth its salt can be administered by any web-browser (even the Microsloth router is platform agnostic in that sense), but sometimes the print server or other "goodies" may require a PC on which to install the software. Something to investigate before you buy. Just a thought. Good luck.

Sam

sjb2016 said:
but sometimes the print server or other "goodies" may require a PC on which to install the software. Something to investigate before you buy. Just a thought. Good luck.

Sam

Sam-

Thanks. That's a good point I hadn't considered. Hope fully I can get that information.

Andy

Back