Can I use Disk Utility to Image a PC?

stizz

gorilla beta tester
I have numerous dedicated PC based encoding workstations. We have been contemplating getting Ghost, so that we can create an Image of an optimized system and use it for emergency restore purposes.

I do this for my Mac systems all the time using Disk Utility, can I back up XP boxen this way as well? I'd rather not have to buy 20 or so norton lisences if I can just use my macbook for free to accomplish the same task.

Billy

I have numerous dedicated PC based encoding workstations. We have been contemplating getting Ghost, so that we can create an Image of an optimized system and use it for emergency restore purposes.

I do this for my Mac systems all the time using Disk Utility, can I back up XP boxen this way as well? I'd rather not have to buy 20 or so norton lisences if I can just use my macbook for free to accomplish the same task.

Billy

If you create the image on 1 system, you do not need multiple licenses. Maybe you might need them for recovery, but if you do it one at the time, you can do with one license.

I guess it will be hard to get it working as if the cd / dvd has to be bootable. Otherwise you could build the content on the mac and write it to cd/dvd and recover to a pc if you have a separate boot cd / dvd.

Good luck, Kees

Back