Can Mail.app auto bounce emails as a Rule?

alexachucarro

I'm 1/4 Basque you know?...
I got some sort of weird (virus?!) email from Brazeil. i clicked on bounce. Then I got a bounce from that bounce!

Instead of me clicking Bounce everytime I get that, can I specify that any email containing .br be bounced. Tried to Record my actions using AppleScript but I'm way out of my depth!

Anyone help please

I have found that bouncing emails does not work because those email usually have a fake sender. You are better off just junking it.

Never bounce or reply to anything virus or spam like, it can only come to no good. As Cheryl said most of the sender addresses are faked. Furthermore, when you bounce a message to the ones that aren't fake the message comes back as basically "delivery refused" and not "Not at this address" which is what one would hope. The result of that is the SPAMER now has the name of someone who not only reads their spam but reads it carefully enough to reply with a bounce. That puts you on the spam me harder list for sure as you are now a much better target for marketing.

P.S. also never click on an opt-out link or allow image loading in your emails.

Correct. I fully agree with lurk. It's absolutly no problem to identify a faked bounce message. I even have a filter in Mailsmith (I never will use Mail again) that identify and mark faked bounce messages.

These "Mailbox deon't exist" message created in Mail ( and all those other Spambouncers) never can imitate a real errormessage. So if you bounce and the spammer has access to the gmx or whatever account (They often have) they can simply run a script and know your account exist and you even read the mail.

And btw in some countrys you start an illegal act of spamming if you bounce to a faked other address because this person never wanted such a mail from you nor has he given you this address. So YOU USE a illegal received address of someone else. In Germany this is not allowed.

Back