Can only print from one account

Lazarus18

In debt medical student
Anyone encountered this? Well, let me give more details first.

I have two accounts on my Mac, one for me and one for my wife. From my account I can only print to my Brother printer from Textedit, Safari, etc. (Apple made aps basically). I can't print from a web browser other than Safari, and more troubling, I can't print from Word. It goes through the motions of formatting the pages etc, etc, but the print center icon never comes up and bounces around like it should.

But on my wife's account she can print from Word and any other ap. It's very odd.

So has anyone figured this out?

It seems as if nobody has a clue what to do about this problem.

I am able to print, preview, etc., with no problem but my wife and daughter cannot do either when they log into their accounts.

I am running 10.2.3 and I also have Safari beta v. 51 installed.

Again, I'm having no problems -- but everyone else here has no solutions.

Surely, there must be some genius here who could provide one?

Oh yes, one other oddity. If I try to save a pdf of my document it shows up on the desktop (assuming I saved it to there) and then quickly disappears never to be seen again (before I can click on it, no matter how fast I am).

yeah, I have the SAME problem. In Word, I can't print. I print, the document goes to the print-center, my printer receives data, but nothing ist going on. after a while, my printer never displays receiving data, but there is no print... anyone ideas?

printer: hp color lasterjet 4550

OK...I finally have everything working again -- to everybody's satisfaction.

How? Basically, by starting over.

First, I deleted Safari. Based on many things I have read (and by process of elimination), I determined that the Safari beta just might have been contributing, if not causing, these problems. (BTW, in addition to the others user's inability to print, one of my users couldn't even log in!). I also got rid of what was in the Safari folder in the Library (I saved the Bookmark file in my Home folder since I saved quite a few bookmarks in Safari).

Next, I did a "Clean Install" of OS-X 10.2/Jaguar. Immediately after that, I ran Software Update under System Preferences and updatd anything that needed to take place (update to 10.2.3, IE update, and a few other things popped up). Then I had to re-install the HP AIO software (I didn't have to re-install anything for my Epson Stylus printer, however.).

At this point, my other users could both print (and still can) and my user who couldn't log in was able to do so (and still can). Everything seems to be as it should be -- and is much faster than it was prior to this problem.

Hope this might help. The process didn't take more than a couple of hours and much of that time things were pretty much running by themselves. After all the frustration encountered, it was time well spent!

Back