can OsX run on his own???

su7

Registered
i dodn't know lots of things about my os

but i wanted to know if he could run without os9.2.3
"classic" i am now using "jaguar" and tired of the classic

could someone also learn me how to get in the system (like on a PC with the BIOS)
cheers

OS X can run without OS 9.2.2 or earlier (there is no 9.2.3). You don't need Classic unless you have classic applications.

To boot into the command line, simply hold Command-S (open Apple + S) when you start up. You will then be in single-user mode, your root account. This is straight, steaming black UNIX, no Aqua cream and sugar added.

ok

sorry i meant 9.2.2 it's a bit late
do you think os 10.2 is good??
or do you like 9.2 as well

Originally posted by su7
ok

sorry i meant 9.2.2 it's a bit late
do you think os 10.2 is good??
or do you like 9.2 as well

this question was meant to be asked years ago! but this is a mac os x forum! we have moved beyond 9.x!

you might want to wait till 10.3 comes out then take a plunge!

9.2? I still have nightmares about my ibook crashing a few times a day (albeit only when I used Aimster, which was a piece of bug ridden crap)...with OS X, I have NO problems.

ok i think i'll throw my classic system folder in the trash

i know it's a osX forum...but i have 10.2 at home and it works fine
but,at work my boss doesn't want to install the 10.2 system, i just wanted to know what you thought about it..we work with Macromedia MX studio,and Adobe Illustrator 10 +Photoshop 7 they run on classic but i think they were made for OS X....
could you please give me a list of the ways and options to boot with 10.2...
i also know i'm late but here in Europe the guys ("especially my boss) doesn't want to change his classic habbits and for me os X is really new (i installed 10.2 on december 2002) ok thanks for all your messages

oh one more think : when i put my osx install cd , i can choose between installing an os x system or a linux
is linux that hard to manage???

Originally posted by su7
ok i think i'll throw my classic system folder in the trash

i know it's a osX forum...but i have 10.2 at home and it works fine
but,at work my boss doesn't want to install the 10.2 system, i just wanted to know what you thought about it..we work with Macromedia MX studio,and Adobe Illustrator 10 +Photoshop 7 they run on classic but i think they were made for OS X....
could you please give me a list of the ways and options to boot with 10.2...
i also know i'm late but here in Europe the guys ("especially my boss) doesn't want to change his classic habbits and for me os X is really new (i installed 10.2 on december 2002) ok thanks for all your messages

oh one more think : when i put my osx install cd , i can choose between installing an os x system or a linux
is linux that hard to manage???

Mac OS X 10.2 (aka Jaguar) and its updates (of course) do not need Classic (aka OS 9.x.x) so you can setup a Mac without installing Classic first (or later on) or even if you have Classic already installed you can trash it... :D

Mac OS X 10.2.6 is SOOOOOO much better if you don't need Classic apps that is :rolleyes:

As for Linux give a shot at Yellow Dog Linux and Mandrake 9.1 PPC (aka PowerPC=Mac version) which are easy to use but not easy as Mac OS X or dare I say Windows XP? :p

As for your boss and other people in Europe, you are right that they seem not to like dropping Classic support (I live also in Europe and to be more specific in Greece) but all those apps you mentioned do exist for OS X and one can buy them somewhat cheap by chosing upgrade options but I think the problem may be in keeping costs lower by not upgrading at all both hardware and software which for employees may be stupid but for managers it is the "smartest" thing to do... :mad:

And also, keep in mind that OS X 10.3 (aka Panther) will be a lot better than 10.2 currently is --and the word has it that it will be better than most OSes out there... Start spreading the word to your boss and not only! :D ;)

:)

ok thanx
i'll tell you when my boss lets me trash the classic os
as for me i did it today & i feel more comfortable just having one os
do you know when panther will be out?
cheerio

Panther will be officially unveiled at the Worldwide Developer Conference in June, and it will probably reach shelves by September.

Hulk: You live in Greece? I always thought you were United Statesian.

Huleros

I am curious as I need multi-lingual support, how do you manage with Greek in OSX? Apple was not much help on this for a long time.

I am partcularly keen on transfering all the stuff using MacHelvetica fonts over to Unicode but haven't found a way of doing it. Also MsWord for Mac screwed up certain letters in the Greek text, and I have been compelled to use AppleWorks which is OK but not very compatible with DTP programs.

Back