Can read but can't burn CD/DVD's

sappleton

Registered
This is a problem have recently encountered trying to burn cd's

I have an imac G5 which is only a few months old, could burn cd's and dvd's fine until a week ago,

1) It can read all cd's and dvd's fine
2) but can't burn with any program at any speed

I realise this may be a hardware problem but would like to try all other options before paying to get it fixed (has no warranty)

wandered whether buying a disc cleaner would work or buying a new disc burner?

I Cant seem to find disc drives for this make for sale

Thanks

Have you tried zapping the PRAM to see if that woudl get it working again? Command-Option-P-R is the key combo to hold down right after the Mac startup chime. Hold it down for a few chimes and then let go so that the system can boot to the desktop.

nixgeek said:
Have you tried zapping the PRAM to see if that woudl get it working again? Command-Option-P-R is the key combo to hold down right after the Mac startup chime. Hold it down for a few chimes and then let go so that the system can boot to the desktop.

tried that and still no luck, what does that do anyway?

A few months old?
If you bought it new, you have a one year warranty from Apple.

You really should still be under warranty (and perhaps the 90 day free telephone support?). I have had a similar problem on my families emac, it can read discs but programs like toast can't burn cds. Most likely it is a hardware problem as you suspect - so get busy and get apple to replace the drive for you!

Back