Can Some One Tell Me About Ram and OS X

BIGDOGquake3

Get It, BIG MAC! ::ha::
I Had 128MB of ram runing OS 10.2. Man it was slow. Any way I gust got a 256MB upgrade, but I dont notice a difference. So I called Club Mac (The place I got the ram from) and the guy said that OS X uses RAM differently than OS 9. He said that OSX uses the ram as needed, but I still don't notice a difference. Is there a way to check to see if the ram is working :confused:

Click the Apple menu (the menu top left with an Apple logo) and select "About this Mac". There you'll see how much RAM you have. For details, you can click the "More Info..." button. That opens the Apple System Profiler application in /Applications/Utilities/.

Is your ram at 256 or was it 256 AND that 128? If it's only at 256 right now you may need to add some more to start seeing more of a difference since I've noticed that OS X seems really slow w/ Apple's demo comps in the Apple stores mainly because they only have 256 mb of RAM. Personally, I think 512 mb is a pretty good amount for OS X but that's just me. With 10.2 the speed can also be dependant on if you have a graphics card that supports Quartz Extreme.

I'll be adding 512RAM to my actual 128; can someone tell me if there'll be a REAL difference ? I'm on a G3/500 iMac with OSX.22. Anyone with this experience can share or send me a PM please ?

The computer comes with 128MB and I just got 256MB upgrade so that means now I should have 384MB but in the about this mac panel it said that I still have 128MB, bad memory :confused:

Could be... either way it's not reading it... try swapping the chips... Put the 256MB in slot 1 and the 128 MB in slot 2.

You might see a delay in startup... then check the "About this Mac" screen.

If it doesn't work, I'd start looking for memory testers.

Originally posted by toast
I'll be adding 512RAM to my actual 128; can someone tell me if there'll be a REAL difference ? I'm on a G3/500 iMac with OSX.22. Anyone with this experience can share or send me a PM please ?

It will be like a new world :)

Huh? I have one slot (iBook) and the 128MB is built in. So what do you mean by swiching the RAM around :confused:

A big difference when i moved from 256 to 512, to what i have now, 960. IF you use Apps like me, PS, and After Effects and Flash, after a while that memory will be inactive not in use but will really slow the computer down. I made numerous post about my memory problems, seems kinda like 9, it just refuses to let go of the memory, some say it is cached. Use Memorystick to see what i mean. Look at your system after a restart, then after working and quiting all apps. It's depressing.

Okay, I'll buy this 512 chip now. Thanx for answers, mates.

Urbansory, I see what you mean (I had the problem under Classic. A complete reinstall with firmware update made it disappear).

Originally posted by BIGDOGquake3
The chip wasint in all the way :D :D :D

Code:
robotguy knows 
to put the chip in 
all the way

otherwise 

he would never please robotgal

perhaps this is why you humans
are having difficulty
finding women

Back