can someone please explain...

guapagirl

Registered
in the uk the O2 mobile service is offering contracts on the iPhone. It says that you get unlimited data, wifi, and special rates for roaming. So what do you actually get for your £35 a month along with your free minutes, texts and voicemail? Can you access the internet for free and email and stuff...is that what it means? doesn't explain it anywhere on either appple or O2 websites.

My brick (from about 1995) is dying and I'm thinking of impressing all my friends with the iPhone

Ta ever so :D

It means you get unlimited (though not _actually_ unlimited, rather something along the lines of "fair use", i.e. a daily limit) data, wifi and special rates for roaming. Says nothing about SMS and or calls/minutes, so they're extra quite probably.

200 calling minutes, to any network, anytime
200 sms texts

'unlimited' data - this is EDGE mobile internet, pretty slow but usable. (limit: you can view up to 1400 webpages a day)

and you get the wifi deal, where all of The Cloud's 7,500 uk hotspots are free to connect to and use, without limits.

video calling and picture messages aren't supported, so you don't get any of these free.

oh, and it';s for 18 months.

thanks guys. So EDGE mobile internet isn't the same as wifi? more like internet over the phone? OK, I understand!

Thanks a lot, :)

Not more like, but it *IS* "internet over the phone". :) The evolution of that was CSD (1G), HSCSD (1.5G), GPRS (2G), EDGE (2.5G), UMTS (3G), HSDPA (3G), Wimax (3G). Basically. :)

I believe that you can connect to an open WiFi network for free, but you will be charged for using EDGE to connect to the internet. (unless the deals Apple has worked out for free WiFi will charge overseas users?)

Back