Can´t boot on OS X beta CD

knasen

Registered
G3 233, 192 MB ram, 2 ATA intern discs.

I can´t boot the os X Beta CD. If I use "system disk" there is no os X cd? If I put in os 9 CD...it pops up in "system disk". My CD is master.

Here is the error message:
System disk was unable to select the install CD as the startup Disk (-2).

I really is desperate for help.

thanx

Originally posted by knasen
I can´t boot the os X Beta CD. If I use "system disk" there is no os X cd? If I put in os 9 CD...it pops up in "system disk". My CD is master.

This is exactly what I'm seeing on my two beiges (thread below)

This is because you or the guy you got the Disk Image from, mounted the CD before you had a chance to burn it. Order a legimate copy and it will work.

It's legit and has been used to install OSX on two other machines (B&W G3s), so shut the hell up. Oh, and we're a developer so we got the CD for free from Apple in case you were about to say "the license is only for one machine!".

Originally posted by mp3
This is because you or the guy you got the Disk Image from, mounted the CD before you had a chance to burn it. Order a legimate copy and it will work.

[Edited by AlanCE on 09-21-2000 at 04:34 PM]

I'm having trouble getting the OS to install on my G4 - the system just hangs and gives me some really scary screens. A few times I get a blank happy Mac screen with the spinningrainbow cursor, other times I get what looks like an NT blue screen (with the 0x0000000 -type errors) saying something about Panic mode and giving me the option to continue or reboot.

I have a 30g drive with a spare 2g ATA drive acting as the OSX disk (HFS+) and a DVD-RAM drive - 384 RAM. Anyone else having anything like this happen?

Michael

Originally posted by mfessenden

I have a 30g drive with a spare 2g ATA drive acting as the OSX disk (HFS+) and a DVD-RAM drive - 384 RAM. Anyone else having anything like this happen?

Michael

You have to put X on your master drive, not the slave. And it has to be installed in a partition which is at least partially in the first 8GB of that drive.

That's good to know.... but I can't even boot my machine from the CD!! I can't even install this on any of my drives....

This is my problem to....and I did´nt mount the image before I burned it.

It must be something with the CD-driver (maybe the cd-access or cd-firmware? (I have just a minute ago made a Clean MacOS 9 install).

I mean the Mac OS9 CD turns up in the "System disk" but not OS X beta CD...that´s strange.

It´s the master disk...and it´s the first partition of the master disk. CD is master.

help! =)

I tested one more thing:
I copied all X beta CD to my HD. Started "system disk" and the HD (with the copied X) appears as a bootable HD?. But the CD did´nt.....why oh why

Originally posted by knasen
I mean the Mac OS9 CD turns up in the "System disk" but not OS X beta CD...that´s strange.

It´s the master disk...and it´s the first partition of the master disk. CD is master.

That is bizzare.

BTW- you said the HD is master... and the CD is master... they're on different ATA busses, right?

-pmb

I now installed the beta =)
I took my HD to work and installed it on a blue/white Yose. Now I can boot on this partition. I have no idea why I had this problem...and I will not get my mind to it anymore...it´s stays unpredictable =)

Mac OS X is not currenlty recognized as a bootable disk. Even though it contains the software for it, it will not work. Just insert the disk and double-click on the "install software" icon. That will reboot the machine and set it up to read from a non-standard system disk. That is why there is a revamped startup disk called startup system or something, that will see X.

-Jim

Back