Can VPC do Direct X 8.1?

BitWit

Flash/JavaScript nerd
I autocross ( a kind of auto racing I'm obsessed with ) and as far as I've seen there is only one existing racing game that has autocrossing built in, called "Live for Speed".

Its an online type of racing sim game that lets you race other people, and its minimum hardware requirements are pretty tame, but it requires Direct X 8.1 .

Has anyone used Virtual PC and Direct X 8.1 successfully?

Live for Speed: http://www.liveforspeed.com

Looking at the minimum requirements for this game (1GHz processor, "recent" video card), I think you'll struggle to run it through VPC, even if it did handle DirectX 8.1.

VPC emulates a Pentium MMX processor with an S3 Trio graphics card. Nobody's idea of an ideal gaming machine by any stretch of the imagination.

My advice - don't bother with VPC for anything other than Word Processing and other less demanding applications. If you really want to play this game, then you either have to persuade the publishers to port it to Mac, or buy Wintel machine to play it on.

Dave

Thanks for the input, Dave.

In that case, I'll just borrow my wifes computer when I want to play, and get the logitech steering wheel to boot! :D

VPC is also good to watch movies: Windows Media Player is quite well integrated, and some movies still don't play on Mac, even with VLC. But I agree, it sucks for games.

Agree with the above., VPC sucks for most anything that needs a decent processor. Only thing I use it for is some chatting. Some low level games for fun and amusement. Anf iy lookd likr if I want to use Walmart's new online music store, got to have windows version of Windows Media Player, I don't believe the mac version does the protected WMAs.

Back