Can you change a drives name?

Incubated Funk

Registered
Hi Guys

I've been using my Mac for mostly making music so i have a lot of audio files and applications spread across 2 drives each partitioned.

Ive recently started using my main mac for pretty much everything now so i want to organise things away from just being organised for music and this means possibly renaming drives.

Is there anyway to rename the boot drive without disrupting all of the programs on the drive?? I expect problems will occur with any files or apps that have shortcuts (alias') if i rename this drive.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and could possibly stop me from causing myself some serious hassle!

Thanks

I.F

Anything set to backup, or acess the drive will have a problem, but you can change the path within the apps. Aliases won't work, but you can chage them

Opps,

I have a friend that did just that: he renamed the boot disk, after boot the net boot started and now when the PB boots instead of loading directly the YABOOT (also linux on that machine) Net Boot starts looking for a net boot option and afterwards (after 3-4 minutes) starts the yaboot and etc.

If you do not have also linux on that machine probably you will not have the problem as after renaming all you have to do is reselect it in Startup disk preferences. if you do have linux this will kind of skip the Yaboot.

You can rename the boot disk all you like; important things know your boot disc as simply "/", regardless of what it's named.

Back