Can You change the Short Name?

rphillips

Registered
Anybody out there know how to change the short name, in OSX 10.1.3? Someone else set up two new G4's I am using and used their name, and I read in a mac osx bible that it can't be changed once set. I was thinking about doing a full re-install but I don't want to have to load all my apps back on it. Any suggestions?

Also I was wondering what happened to Print Window under the File Menu, I used it all the time in 9 and can't find it in osx...

one thing you can do is just add a new user to the computer and log in using it.
In the system prefs go to the users section.
Create your own user, make it an admin and set it to auto log in.

It IS possible to change the "short name," but it is not for the faint at heart, tech-wise. (Search this board for "change short name" and you'll probably find instructions) The easiest way to get your own name would probably be to just make a new user account.

Also, it seems Apple has killed the "print window" function. However, the work around would be to....
1) Bring up the desired window
2) Press Apple-Shift-4
3) use the crosshairs to crop the desired window
4) A new screenshot called "Picture 1" will appear on your desktop. Open it and print it.

Also, it seems Apple has killed the "print window" function. However, the work around would be to....
1) Bring up the desired window
2) Press Apple-Shift-4
3) use the crosshairs to crop the desired window
4) A new screenshot called "Picture 1" will appear on your desktop. Open it and print it. [/B][/QUOTE]

Replace Step 3 with pressing the Spacebar, the crosshairs turns into a camera, now click on the window you want. Step 4 still applies. :)

Thanks - New user worked great I just deleted the old one. Seems so logical, like I should have thought of it myself... Thanks

Thanks Tormente... I was wondering where the "Take a picture of just this window" function went in Mac OS X

Seems lots of people have this problem becase they forget to change the name when they first set up. I know I did it and my friend did it as well. It gets the best of us. ;)

You can open NetInfo Manager and edit the fields for the user. You can change the shortname like that but you can't change it in System Preferences > Accounts

You have to rename the home folder to the new short name. If you want to print a window get Print Window at versiontracker.com

Back