Can you convert MPG and keep the sound?

Hidden Gekko

3 Years and 100 Posts 0_o
Hi, quick question.

I run a site where I record movies on a friend's Windows machine via his tuner card. I had made 12 movies before we realized that a Mov file is a better choice than an MPEG. My last six movies are now Mov's, but the 12 older ones are still mpg's and are double the size. My server only has a gigabyte of space, so I need filesizes to be kept at a minimum. I want to convert those old MPGs into Mov's, basically cutting their size in half (not worrying about quality loss).

I have quicktime pro, but every mpg I choose to open/import won't let me export it under any file type with attached sound. Example, if I want to export an mpg, the sound box in options is grayed and unclickable, and the converted file has no sound at all.

So the question... Looks like quicktime pro can't do this, is there any (free) program that can do a simple task like converting an mpg to a mov and keep the sound, or should I just, er... re-record my movies? I'm far from an A/V expert. My college has more sophisticated video programs, however, so I'm sure it's not impossible. Heck,maybe even iMovie can do it. But my quicktime pro won't, and won't tell me why. If for whatever reason an mpg can't be converted with sound, I guess I'll just re-record since I don't have the original files.

Back