Can You Disable iTunes Sharing and iTms.

callieX

Registered
Where I work we have a major policy problem. Windows and Mac users of iTunes are killing the band width at the hospital. The sharing of iTunes and downloading of songs from iTms are showing up as heavy hitters on our firewall reports. Because of this Mgmt want to disable iTunes or remove it from all machines that use our network. Besides going into preferences is there anyway to globally block these features while allowing people to play thier own music libraries on there own machines?

calliex

i-tunes use a special port to share their music (3689)
if you have a router, just block that port or you can go to System Preferences - Sharing - Firewall, and start the Firewall.
Then you enable the ports that you want to use, like Printer Sharing or Personal File Sharing. You can lock the preferences clicking the padlock, but if the user know the admin password, he can change the preferences again.

I prefer the first option (the router).

The router, however, does not stop the (only internal anyway) feature of iTunes sharing (streaming).

Has your company simply asked people to limit bandwidth usage before seeking more draconian measures?

Randman said:
Has your company simply asked people to limit bandwidth usage before seeking more draconian measures?

They are also worried about people sharing music that they can not prove that they own. A large hosptial becomes a legal target for the music police.

But when you are sharing music with iTunes you arn't copying the file from the other user, you are simply "streaming" it. I don't see how it would be illegal.

Guess they're not just worried about iTunes then... If it's general filesharing you mean, you'll have to go the firewall/router way, definitely, and only allow ports that are allowed (http, mail, etc.)

If you have a firewall (particularly in somewhere like a hospital) you should have it locked down already, with only specific ports opened as needed. otherwise everything is open by default, making the firewall pointless. as for sharing within the network. what speed network is it? what type of switches/hubs do you use?

fryke said:
Guess they're not just worried about iTunes then... If it's general filesharing you mean, you'll have to go the firewall/router way, definitely, and only allow ports that are allowed (http, mail, etc.)

They are worried about a drain on their bandwidth. I guess there was a Dr. who was downloading a ton of Music from iTms. Enough that it sent up a red flag on the firewall. Until this happened they were unaware of iTms or iTunes. This is a very anti Mac site. They do not support Mac's eventhough the reasearch arm is almost all Mac's. This incident is causing them to look closer a the installed Mac base, and how they can control it.

Calliex

Pengu said:
If you have a firewall (particularly in somewhere like a hospital) you should have it locked down already, with only specific ports opened as needed. otherwise everything is open by default, making the firewall pointless. as for sharing within the network. what speed network is it? what type of switches/hubs do you use?

We have a firewall, but I am not involoved in that part of it. I got involved because I am the lone Mac user. I use my personal power book to trouble shoot Mac problems (the few that arise).

I'm not suggesting you are. All I'm saying is, for it to be of any use the firewall should already be blocking non-essential ports, such as the one used by DAAP:// (itunes music sharing and the one used by itms (if it's different)

Back