can you play quake3 with an iBook?

around 23-26 fps, i think.

edit: i forgot to mention that's if you're running the default settings. if you tweak the settings and turn off some of the effects, you might be able to squeeze out another 10 fps or so.

the question is what kind of iBook do you have or are you planning on getting? I have a 266 iMac which is on its last legs for gaming, but it will last at least as long as my quadra or powermac 6100 did for internet and word processing. In fact, my sister still uses it for everything she needs to do.

edited: oops I see that you listed 600 mhz. I am afraid I can't reply specifically to you but maybe someone else can.

UT ran ok but I wouldn't even try playing a game like UT or Q3 with a trackpad, you'll get killed! I do enjoy playing AOE 2 on my ibook though :D

IMO, you'll get really bad frames at 1024. The 8MB Rage Mobility just isn't up to it. At 800x600, I would think you'd be looking at about a smooth 30 if you tweak the settings.

A little of the subject but I would like to say that Tropico is a horrible game. It's theme is not creative, the graphics stink and the game skips and freezes with even some great computer specs. Don't waste your money on this game. I even regret wasting my time to download this game off Carracho :D

As long as you keep video-memory-eating features like high-detail textures, trilinear mapping (which has to be emulated on the iBooks graphic card)etc. off, you will be fine. I would still advice to run it in 800x600, then it will run like a charm!
I used to play Q3 on a 400 Mhz iBook and in 800x600, with med-res textures and some other tweaks, it was great.

I am gunna answer my own question, I got a new iBook 600mhs 384mb, quake 3 1.3.1 640x480x32 = 28.5 fps not the greatest but it will do.
:)

switch down to 16 bit and it will be MUCH faster. Also check texture quality! The bottleneck, if you ask me, is the video memory. I used to play Quake 3 on an old Celeron 400 Laptop when I was to lazy to carry my whole PC to a LanParty (good thing is, my Quicksilver is easy to carry, bad thing is I have no more time for LanParties ;) and it had an ATI Rage card with even less memory (8 mb IIRC or even 4 MB???)

Simple math will show you what eats the memory! Reducing the color depth to 16 bit only uses half of the RAM! THEORETICALLY (this never works, but well...) you could run at double resolution in same speed...:D

Well, my advice is go down to 16 bit if you can bare it, go up to 800x600 and set texture quality to three-fourth of the dragarea.

And if you are comfortable with the config file, I am sure you can tweak out two or three more FPS...

It should run REALLY smooth then (maybe 28 to 34 FPS I guess)

Back