Can you recommend good, cheap, simple, accounting software please?

Oli

Registered
I'm just starting a web design business and realise I need some accounting software to keep track of finances. Could anybody recommend a good bit of software? I don't have (or really ever want) much experience of accounting - but it has to be done!

I don't want anything that delivers far more functionality than I need as it will probably just turn out to be excessively complex and take ages to get my head round.

It needs to track basic business income and expenditure - e.g purchases of office supplies and software, and sales of websites and some other items.
I need to be able to produce simple profit and loss reports and a balance sheet. I must be able to export data for Excel somehow.

I'd like to be able to produce invoices and quotes directly from the accounting software - ideally with the ability to put my own logo on them. I don't need to be able to upload info directly from my bank but it would be nice I suppose.

I don't want to spend over £100 and would much prefer to spend less than £50!

I've done a bit of looking around... 'MYOB' seems more complex than I'd need and I hear their support is rubbish. 'Accounts' (Nano Software) looks great and is simple to use but doesn't make great invoices etc (no logo allowed). Please correct me if you think I'm wrong on either of these products though.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Cheers for your help.

I use QuickBooks Pro for my business and it does everything you are looking for. It's fairly intuitive as well.

Thanks SatCure, I should have mentioned I'm in the UK.

Cjiric - cheers for the recommendation. I'll take a look at QuickBooks.

Much appreciated, both of you.

Any other suggestions anyone?

Oli

If it's simple just use an Excel workbook. I do it for a small charity account .

Three pages:
Income nominal ledger
Expenditure nominal ledger
Front page summary account using figures from the other two pages

Nominal ledger is a flat sheet with dates down the side and the categories of expenditure across the top.

excel is part of office, which is ~£400.

as much as i don't like it, NeoOffice/J is free and has much of the functionality of Office, at the expense of the user experience. it's a bit linux-y, but is very powerful.

Back