Can you run 9.2.2 on a G5

Phillips

Registered
My question is rather simple. Can you run 9.2.2 on a G5 running 10.4x?
By this I mean not as classic as I know that is no longer supported by boot into 9.2.2 and run as a stand alone on a G5 running 10.4.x?
Thanks

no. you can run the classic environment, which if you have at least one program running, runs as is if it was the main os, but you can't install an older os on any mac. the earliest one you can usually install is the one it shipped with, for example, mine will only work with 10.3.5 and above.

YES and No it's more up to the rev of the G5 you have if it's one of the first or 2nd rev iMac then yes anyother G5 iMac or PowerMac No.

The last Mac that could boot MacOS 9.2.2 was the 1.25 GHz MDD Power Mac G4. No G5 can boot into any version of MacOS 9. However, it will run MacOS 9.2.2 just fine as the Classic environment.

camgangrel said:
YES and No it's more up to the rev of the G5 you have if it's one of the first or 2nd rev iMac then yes anyother G5 iMac or PowerMac No.

Don't think so. The last Macs to actually boot into OS 9 were some mid-generation G4 Macs. The G5 cannot boot into OS 9, especially considering that support for the chip has never existed outside of it being run in Classic, which would probably be fooling OS 9 into thinking it's a G4 CPU.

Back